Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a reseller of a couple brands of BBQ sauces and rubs. I'm a very, very small dealer and started about two months ago. My financial goal is to make enough profit to pay for a couple of BBQ contest entry fees each year: about $350. So, I'm not going to get rich, but it will compensate some for my hobby of competition BBQ.

www.plowboysbbq.com/products/

Blues Hog
Blues Hog is one of the most widely used series of products on the competition circuit. At least 1/3 of the teams at any contest are using Blues Hog. Many won't admit it: secrets. :laughing: It is great on chicken, ribs, and pork shoulder.

Mean Dean
Dean Bury is someone I know through BBQ comps. He has a catering business and only does 5-6 comps a year. However, he places in the top 5 in at least one category every contest. He's an infrequent top cook. His product is used quietly by some top teams. Partners well with everything: chicken, ribs, pork, brisket. I recently had a team tell me that whenever they've used Mean Dean sauce on brisket, they've been top 5 in that category. The sauce is a fruit based sauce with a lot of apricot. Original recipes.

I'll dig up some pictures of our competition entries to give you an idea of what a BBQ comp entry looks like.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well we are all just going to have to get together someday and have us a BBQ :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we are all just going to have to get together someday and have us a BBQ :D
What's funny, is that I don't even use charcoal or wood sticks/chunks/chips for most of my BBQ. I use wood pellets. My smoker looks like a traditional offset smoker, but the offset "firebox" is actually a pellet hopper. Has an electronic controller that feeds pellets and forced air into a small fire ring in the center of the pit. Basically, I set a specific temp on the digital controller and it auto starts. I'm usually up to cooking temp within 5-10 minutes. Lazy guys BBQ, but I can smoke something everyday and still watch a game, watch the kids, or work in the shop.

We do have a commercial sized stick burner as well. I also smoke in my Weber kettle grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Now this isn't right....I am not smoking, so I need no stress, and here, in my den, I have to see barbeque items and that makes me drool! Did you get the bill for your dues Plowboy? Just send the sauses and rubs to me, and I'll take care of it!:yes:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
plowboy - jpw - (daren I know you don't have time) if you guys find time or have the inclination you might throw a sample pak togetehr we can buy.
Maybe you have it on your website I didn't look real good yet will soon.
i know i want to oreder some sauces rubs etc. from you both.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
plowboy - jpw - (daren I know you don't have time) if you guys find time or have the inclination you might throw a sample pak togetehr we can buy.
Maybe you have it on your website I didn't look real good yet will soon.
i know i want to oreder some sauces rubs etc. from you both.
Just look at my products and tell me what you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
do you ship sauces to the uk. would like to try them. plus if you could send some sunshine as well i don't think it's stopped raining for a month now :boat:

·
Registered
45 Posts
would like to try them rubs you have 1 of each just the 5 oz jars would do . i looked up shipping from the states to uk for package and cost $10.00 for 4-6 day delivery...let me know if ok and i'll sort out paying and give ya my address

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
would like to try them rubs you have 1 of each just the 5 oz jars would do . i looked up shipping from the states to uk for package and cost $10.00 for 4-6 day delivery...let me know if ok and i'll sort out paying and give ya my address
What delivery company was that? I'll put a package together on Friday and get back to you. I'm away from home for a couple of days.

Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yum!

This is only my second post on the forum and ya might have known it deals with food!

What you guys need to do is have a blind "Sauce Off" taste test sample kit<g>.

I will be checking out both sites!!! Love BBQ!

Skip
www.ShopFileR.com

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have to say that the Blues Hog sauce is excellent, and like Plowboy, I'm from Kansas City, so I'm an expert :smile:. I stumbled upon it three or four years ago and have used a lot of it since. I've judged some BBQ competitions and haven't really ran into that many people using it (it has a recognizable unique flavor that's hard to miss), but it isn't a characteristic Kansas City BBQ sauce.

The Blues Hog rub is awesome for brisket. I think it overpowers chicken though. I rub my briskets in a mix of molasses and worchestershire, and then rub in the BH rub and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It makes a pretty mean brisket. I just gave away my secret, but I don't compete. I also use BH rub on smoked sausage, and I put their sauce in my beans.

·
BBQ Master & Competitor
192 Posts
Good luck with that. I do at least 1 competition a month and most of the time I do 2 comps. Let us know how you do. Do you belong to a sanctioning body?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts