Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was recently hired by a co-worker to build a bathroom vanity for her mother. If it looks low to the ground that's because it is. It is for an old Florida home so 30 inches is the max height. I have done some raised panels before but the drawer fronts were a little tricky because they are only 7 inches high. The case is birch ply trimmed out with poplar. I used some Charles Neal pre stain and GF candlelight.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks. I guess at 6'2 this is a back breaker for me but it was a fun project.
Years ago, I did a kitchen and vanities for a couple...he was 6'-8", and she was 6' -2". The kitchen countertops finished at 42", and their vanity finished at 36". Visitors to the shop thought I screwed up.:laughing:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
When I put in my vanity at 35 inches last year.....everyone thought I was crazy.....until they stayed overnight for a few days.....and now they all want one. Best thing I ever did....

·
Registered
83 Posts
We swapped out our vanities and toilets for taller models during our last renovation. Our vanities are now 36 inches tall and the toilet seats are about 15 or 16 inches off the floor. At first everything seemed a bit too tall but now we love it and the old heights seem like kids sized furniture.
These days most residential vanities I see are 36 inches tall.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Yep, most people are getting used to the idea that the average height isn't 5 feet tall, even for women. Personally I think it's great seeing taller stuff, but in a house like mine, with 7 1/2 foot ceilings it means you lose a lot of space on top of the counters. You do gain storage space underneath, though.

Nice final build, SgtSteve.

PS: What's with all the new members and military names lately? (I don't mind, just find it interesting)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts