Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Well if you've been reading the forum you'll know there is a raging debate over Pocket hole jigs and their usefulness. It sounds like pocket holes might be right up your alley to assemble this thing. Easy to use and cheap (get a cheap jig from woodworkers supply not the 250$ kreg jig). I'm sure you can get it done with screws a little glue and a counter sink bit too. Figure out how to get the plans attached and we can give you more specifics.

· Registered
55 Posts
Ed is definately correct on the notching (half lap type joint). I agree with all of Eds suggestions. However, I think glue, screws, and a supporting strip underneath is all that is really necessary. And yeah 1/4 round would work fine. Nail it with glue and counter sink the nails.

What material are we using by the way??? I've been assuming something like pine.

· Registered
55 Posts
with MDF you don't need to worry about it spliting on the grain at least. What will happen is those corners will warp down unless you have the support strips but it sounds like you have that handled. One thing I would add since this is a wet environment is caulk the seams especially where the thing touched the floor. If you get water in one of those cut joints it will swell and look really ugly. Water based paint will also raise the "grain" so if you can get your hands on a sanding sealer it would pay to get sealer on before you paint it.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.