Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bathroom vanity built by a local Amish community woodworking shop, I so loved the kitchen they built for us. And the vanity is gorgeous. The problem is the mirror in the wood medicine cabinet door rattles. I finally cut some card stock type paper into narrow strips, stuffed a couple pieces, one on top of the other, into both the top gap and a couple pieces into the bottom gap between the mirror and the wood frame.
Voila! No more rattle.
It looks like the mirror is held in the frame by a piece of rubber pressed into a channel around the perimeter of the backside of the mirror. I'm thinking take the door off so I can work on it without fear of dropping the mirror on the cultured marble sink. On my workbench,removed the mirror, and place some kind of thin, soft material around the face of the wood channel where it contacts the face of the mirror. I thought about a couple layers of adhesive or masking tape, but that might be difficult to do neatly. I can't seem to come up with a clear idea of what to use? Does anybody have a suggestion?

·
Registered
532 Posts
So the channel that the mirror sits in is wider than the mirror is thick, right? If you're going to shim it, I would think that going from the back would be best. If you shim from the front with tape, it might be visible when you view the mirror at an angle. The tape would be reflected in the mirror and would look twice as big/thick as it really is.

Maybe some clear silicon? Something that stays flexible that can be directed deep into the groove?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. You're absolutely right. From the back is best. Silicone sounds really good, but I hesitate to buy a whole tube for that little job. Doesn't the rest of the tube set up or become useless shortly after its been opened?

·
John
3,028 Posts
One method I sometimes use on picture frames is to cut a tapered wood shim to wedge in a groove in the frame to hold the backer in. Just set the table saw for about a 3° bevel and pass a piece of 1 by (3/4" thick) stock through. :smile:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nelsh - you mentioned you "removed the mirror" - do you mean you took the door off the vanity and it is now sitting on the bench with the mirror still in the door... or did you remove the mirror from the door?

If you removed the mirror from the door - they sell "space" balls which are tiny rubber balls for cabinetmakers. When building doors, it is always assumed that the wood will move so a correctly built door will have a panel with a 1/8 - 3/16 space around it. That can result in a rattle, so they sell these tiny rubber balls to fill that space and allow room for the wood to move.

If you can't take the mirror out from the door - use the silicone and you don't have to throw it out. After I use a new tube of caulking, silicone, pl glue or whatever, I always insert a long 3 inch screw into the tube. When I need it again, I pull the screw out and use it. One time I left a tube of liquid nail for over a couple of years and that screw was in real good - so I had to unscrew it out. :yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts