Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking for a solution to needing 50 saws for students to use at the school. I didn't want to clean, sharpen and set that many saws before Oct and I didn't savor the idea of paying $175 each so I considered a couple options.

After all was said and done it looks Like I'll be bringing in a batch of saws and back saws from Thomas Flinn in Sheffield, England - the same fine folks that made my custom pit saw. They are sending a few for me to evaluate. They are identical to those below but with lighter stained handles.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.co...aw-Beech-Taper-Ground/productinfo/279-2608BT/

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/12-Tenon-Saw-Rip-Cut-LYNX-Beech-Handle/productinfo/279-1213R/

I will be bringing in several different sizes of that same Linx line of saws if I am happy with them.

Now for the reason for this thread - They are only costing me $30 - $40 each. That's a lot cheaper than the above site which is the only company in America carrying that line.

I'm willing to bring more in if there is anyone interested in one. The shipping will be a factor but should be reasonable considering the volume I am ordering. I will also be bringing in extras for the school store to carry. I will be able to get firm pricing once I get a quote on shipping for that many. I'll also let you guys know what I think of them after I have a chance to try them.

ps - I can get the tenon saws in 10, 12 and 14 inch plates.

~Jean

EDIT:
Did I mention they offer a dovetail saw as well? lol They are a bit cheaper. Also Gent's saws for about half the price of above.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would be interested in both dovetail and tenon saws. I would also be interested in a 26" hand saw if it is available in the rip cut version.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll keep y'all updated. I expect it to take a week for the demos to get to me, despite costing $50 to ship just those two saws. Once I check em out I'll give them an order and get prices on each. There is no $ list because they are cutting me a good deal.

Also, the order will probably take a little while as they manufacture to order.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Count me in for a dovetail saw :yes::yes::yes: Just don't tell the girls :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be interested in a dovetail saw, and maybe a crosscut saw too, if I have enough money for both when the time comes. Will certainly be setting money aside right now for at least the dovetail saw and will start saving up to hopefully also get a crosscut saw.

I would really like to try my hand at hand cut dovetails, and to also have a good hand saw, but decent saws at full price are more than I can afford right now, and finding good, used tools to restore has been a challenge here in ND (and I have an aversion to ebay).

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, I gave this some thought. I'm not going to limit this to a # of saws. I'll do my best to fill everyone's request.

Each saw will HAVE to be paid up front though. I'm surprised at how much interest there is in them but I guess I shouldn't be as decent tools are high $.

If anyone misses out, don't worry I'll be ordering again in the future to supply the school tool store. I'm also looking at other avenues such as becoming a Narex Retailer etc. I'm sure there will be a lot of good deals to be had along the way.

And again - this is all hinged upon the saws being decent!

EDIT:

Oh, and I had them throw a dovetail saw in the box too. So I'll be able to review it as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you know the order dates how are you going to let the folks know who expressed interest? I would have some interest in these as well.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts