Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum, but not woodworking, been in the trades for 25 years. My question, has anyone used basswood for door and window trim and base. I want a light colored wood to contrast with my cvg fir doors, but can't afford to use rock maple, my first choice. I can get basswood for about a third the price. I know it's primarily used for carving, but I don't think mainly for it's softness, but because of grain charicteristics. Any experience using basswood, I'm also going to use a clear finish. thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
New to forum, but not woodworking, been in the trades for 25 years. My question, has anyone used basswood for door and window trim and base. I want a light colored wood to contrast with my cvg fir doors, but can't afford to use rock maple, my first choice. I can get basswood for about a third the price. I know it's primarily used for carving, but I don't think mainly for it's softness, but because of grain charicteristics. Any experience using basswood, I'm also going to use a clear finish. thanks
Basswood is very light colored and soft.Very easy to work with,although not as durable for trim,which is used to protect.If used, it won't provide the protection of hardwood.It also will require more finish,as it will soak up alot more.Hope this helps.:smile: Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll probaly break the budget and go with the rock maple. I use three coats of clear ProFin and know the maple will do much better. Here in western washington, maple is about $3.41 a l.f. and that's if I straightline it, joint and plane it. I guess I only want to install the trim in my own house once! paul

·
Registered
178 Posts
This may be of some help in deciding the charistics of woods and their uses.
http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts