Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I'm new to woodworking and would take it up as a hobby. Also sell some of my crafts (when they are good enough!)

Mainly small crafts like fish and butteflys but then i want to make laundry baskets etc

I was wondering what would you consider a basic tool setup to start with.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I'm new to woodworking and would take it up as a hobby. Also sell some of my crafts (when they are good enough!)

Mainly small crafts like fish and butteflys but then i want to make laundry baskets etc

I was wondering what would you consider a basic tool setup to start with.

Thanks
Paul
first off wood supplyer, ready to use of buy in the ruff ?? now in the ruff you will need a planer, sound's likd for the small stuff a band saw ? their is so much you could buy , but figure out what machine it takes to do the job you are going to do, than buy that machine, i have a full shop, so their are lot's to buy , but you may not need it now, write down what you are going to do than get back and you will get more of a direct answare good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the fascinating endeavor of woodworking. Here are some basic tools you might consider to get started...

Tools to shape wood:
Work bench with vice(s)
A good rip saw, cross cut saw and a dovetail saw, minimum
Set of chisels (including a mallet for striking the chisels)
Block plane (learn to sharpen and fine tune it)
#4 Smoothing plane (learn to sharpen and fine tune it)
Band Saw (I find it necessary to have one, especially if you don't have a table saw)
Table saw (nice to have but not absolutely necessary if you have a band saw)

Measuring tools:
Rulers (12", 24" and 48")
Marking knife
Marking gauge
Pencils
Compass

Miscellaneous:
Drill press or at least a hand drill
Clamps
Wood glue
Fasteners
Screwdrivers, pliers, awl

While what I have listed would get you started, there's much more that could be added and if you find that woodworking is what you want to do you will automatically be adding to the list, I guarantee it. Many of the items can be found used if you want to spend the time looking for them and refurbishing. Some can even be hand made.

Good luck and above all be careful using any tool, as they can cut fingers as well as wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts