Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree about the 22.5...just be careful the stud your break is on is not one of those pesky occasional stand outs that will make your joint look horrible no matter how much sanding you do.
very true, the more sanding you do all your gonna get is not only a bad joint but the baseboard will look funny being thinner at that spot

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
You do not have to have a large truck to haul long (16') sections of baseboard, crown molding, etc. However, you do need some type of roof rack on top of your vehicle.

I built a wood rack from a 2x4 to go on top of my Acura MDX SUV. I ripped the 2x4 into two 2x2 pieces, 8 ft long. Tied these together with 4 cross members. Two of these cross members were spaced to fit between the cross rails on my roof rack. These two members were then covered in an old inner tube.

The home made wood rack was fastened to the MDX roof rack by two band clamps.

Now I can haul long lumber that only overhangs its support by 4' on each end.

George

·
I love me some wood!
87 Posts
i would buy a sacraficial 12 or 14 ft2X4 put that on your racks thent tie it onto the 2 by i have a role or 3 inch wide plastc wrap that i use all the time for things that hang over my racks. Another good thing in a pinch to use when you dont have racks get towo or three pieces of pipe insolation and put that on the roof of your car first and tie her down .....

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
IMHO: the best roof rack is very simple and CHEAP :yes:. Buy a 20' length of 6 or 8" PVC pipe, glue a cap on one end and a cleanout on the other:}:} unscrew cap, stuff trim inside,screw cap back on, WALLAH watertight, dirt tight, light weight lumber carrier:yes::icon_smile:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I always keep a deck of cards in my finishers bucket. I make my cut at 50 degrees which is as far as my miter saw will go. I don't have time to glue the peices and if the peices shift at all during glue up it will still come out crappy. Typically there is a low piece and I shim it with playing cards. I don't have to join it on the stud if I don't need to, and my joints are typically seamless. I apparently learned to do it unlike every other finisher here..

P.s. The only joints you should have to really sand are outside miter to match up the corner perfectly. I wouldn't sand a scarf joint at all...It could make it look really bad.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts