Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My team have been suffering from a bit of scare-dy cat-ness and have been refusing to throw batting practice for fear of getting hit by the ball (has happened to me, it sucks and I have permanent nerve damage on my shin) so I decided to build us a pitching fence and this is the result of $13 and 2hrs work

First attempt at a mortise and tennon

I mitre cut the supports and used my angle grinder to remove the portion of the old security door that would be in the way, the padding around the jagged edge is a thermal pipe insulation, or you could use a pool noodle.

Go Shoalhaven Mariners!

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Good job. Looks like that should work really well. I'm not familiar with the fences, but is there any concern with stability on the "open" side? I wonder why no feet (even smaller ones) there... do they interfere with the pitching?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They would interfere, would result in a lot of rolled ankles, also it makes it a lot less portable, this straps to the roof of my car easily and off I go

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GeorgeC said:
Is the material in your "fence" metal or cloth. Metal will scar your baseballs.

George

After the first training session the fence was considered a rousing success, I felt particularly happy that I was the first to put a huge dent in the fence. I checked the ball after it did this to the fence and it didn't scar the ball at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts