Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
18 TH. Century Furniture
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide use instructions for the "step Jaws" that come with this chuck? Appears to be made to fit into recess cut in the bottom of a bowl but to use the larger/further away grip set to fit the recess, the recess would have to be about 1" deep ?

David Turner
Plymouth, Mi.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Can anyone provide use instructions for the "step Jaws" that come with this chuck? Appears to be made to fit into recess cut in the bottom of a bowl but to use the larger/further away grip set to fit the recess, the recess would have to be about 1" deep ?

David Turner
Plymouth, Mi.
I don't think so unless the stepped jaws look radically different than the step jaws for other chucks such as the Oneway or the Vicmarc. Most step jaws are primarily intended for gripping various sized tenons.

I just took another look at their jaws on another site and see that what they call step jaws do not resemble normal step jaws. I actually would call it pin jaws for holding small dowels. I would use the other jaws for chucking into a recess. Their ad copy says that their "step jaws" can be used for internal gripping, but I would call it a big stretch of the imagination.

·
18 TH. Century Furniture
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My stepped jaws look like the Oneway internal stepped jaws as depicted.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My stepped jaws look like the Oneway internal stepped jaws as depicted.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.
Internal step jaws wouldn't be used on a bowl. They are better suited for things like peppermills. Whether internal or external, step jaws would be my last choice for holding anything. It is much better to have regular jaws of the correct size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts