Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to this barn sale today and found these old wooden clamps and two boards.
The guy said it was oak. One is lighter than the other. The one has a reddish hue to it. Could it be red oak? You decide.
Paid $2 for the boards and $3 for the clamps.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Lumber Floor

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Floor

Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood flooring Wood stain

·
7,222 Posts
Not sure about the wood.

I have some old clamps similar to yours. In my case, one side is adjustable like a pipe clamp head, and the other side has two holes in one side for screws. Both pieces have very similar shape to yours. They were designed for true 2in x 4in rough cut lumber.

I think a good find.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yea I'm thinking red oak to. Although I haven't had much of that in the past. The clamps work really good to. There is one that has a broken piece where the screw is. I've seen these at antique flea markets for $20-$30, so for a $1 a piece I was excited. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Look at some very clean-cut end grain. If the boards are ring-porous, quite likely one of the oaks. Hickory and the Ashes are possibilities also but there, the pores (aka vessels) are so big in diameter, you can almost look down inside them!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Need better pics- I don't think the second one is red oak. Nice find though.

Reactions: Dominick

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jargo432 said:
Any plans on what your going to do with them?
Not sure, but thinking of using it for a medicine cabinet for my cabin. I've been putting it off for some time.
So much to do, so little time. Lol

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
You got a great deal for sure. I'd give $5 in a heartbeat for any of the single items.. Awesome score.

I saw a couple of those clamps at an antiques store a couple of weeks ago and they were asking $40 each for them. And each was missing one of the metal jaws. They were cool to see but I passed on the "deal".

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cabinetman said:
+1. :yes: Second one looks like it could be Ash. Old dirty wood can be deceiving. .
I'll try getting a fresh cut on them as soon as I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts