Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The front it 12' long. I was built on site, but it would have been easier to build in my shop and assemble on site, but they wanted me to work around the existing bar that had the glass block already installed. So this was made to cover the existing bar.

The top is made up of 2 3/4" sheets of plywood with the top sheet being Cabinet Grade Oak. The Chicago Bar rail and drink rail was added and then topped with Bar Topper Clear Epoxy. The front and sides were doen with Lacquer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep! its a lovely job.

You mentioned lacquer and clear epoxy, but did you use a stain also?

I'm not that familiar with northern timber but to get a rich dark luster like that we'd use a stain also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the bar was stained first. Two coats of stain, but I can not recall the color without checking the customer file.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That has to be one very happy customer. Nice job with the barcoat finish too. How did you handle the drying and set-up time for the barcoat finish? The stuff I use takes 72 hours before it can be used.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Digger I can't find out anything about the BAr Topper Clear Epoxy you referenced. I want to consider for the counter top I'm building for our breakfast bar. Where can I find it online a google didn't turn up anything. Except this thread which is nice but I need a source for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Digger I can't find out anything about the BAr Topper Clear Epoxy you referenced. I want to consider for the counter top I'm building for our breakfast bar. Where can I find it online a google didn't turn up anything. Except this thread which is nice but I need a source for it.
Not sure what Digger is using but I use the epoxy resin from Chery Tree. Here is a link
https://www.cherrytreetoys.com/ do a search on their site for epoxy. You can buy it in quantities from 1/2 pint to 4 gallons. Also run a search on their site for "Eat-A-Bubble". It is an easy way to remove bubbles that wil ruin the appearance of the finish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts