Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would build a mirror from a Banksia Pod so I sliced one lengthwise on the bandsaw and then glued the pieces together. I glued these slabs to the mirrror body with 3/4" inbetween and then filled the gaps and holes with Black Inlace. Then turned it and put on many coats of lacquer.
I also wondered what would happen if you bleached the Banksia so I tried and it worked great. Dyed it with analine dye afterwords. This is a lidded box. I turned the final from Bocote and then turned a Pearl from Tagua nut and put it in the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
projects

John,
Great job. Good imagination. I love the lidded box. Looks like you pulled it out of an aquarium of off the sea floor. Really neat,
Mike Hawkins:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I sure had fun making them. They are part of my demo at the AAW symposium this weekend. I'll be out of touch until Tuesday next week. Hope you all have a good week.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is very, very nice! And very nicely photographed too!

I had no idea what a Tagua Nut was, so I looked that up, and learned a little bit more about a new kind of wood. Amazing stuff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm Mike, I was looking at ya'lls banksia nut pieces. very creative..good job. I turn it for pens, pen stand, and a candle holder. I'm working on some coasters now. I like working with it, its a really neat item to turn. Hope to talk to ya soon. mike

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike Post some photos of your Banksia pieces. I'd love to see them. Since I do a demo on turning Banksia and Tagua nuts it's always good to have more designs to show them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is very useful information to some extent. Please help me out regarding this topic going on. Any DB members tell me to what exact direction discussion is going on now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Entertainment Directory |

1 - 9 of 9 Posts