Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the 9" delta POS in my garage/shop. It's pretty much useless to me now. I can't seem to get a straight cut to save my life. I would like to upgrade to a better saw so I can re-saw lumber. I'm tired of planing 13/16" down to 1/4" just to make dividers for my boxes. I use alot of exotics and it has gotten expensive to do this. My question is, what in your opinions, is the smallest (not to read cheapest) bandsaw I can get away with in my small shop to do this? Any models or brands to be recommended or stay away from?
Thank you in advance,
Kevin

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have 2. I have a Delta 14" with the riser blocks, That is a nice saw...once ya get it all dialed in. I also have a Hitachi resaw bandsaw. I have 3" blades on that. It scares me every time I use it as it would munch fingers and not slow down, but it's resaw capabilities are excellent. I have sawn 1/4" bookmatched burl that turned out excellent.
I've also sawed some really nice 1/4" stuff with a new blade on my WoodMizer...but that's a little overkill...:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
A table saw with a thin curf rip blade is also a good way to resaw if your wood is 5"s or less. You can flip the board for a through cut. Depending on your saw... 2 hp, would be nice.Rick

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
check out Laguna bandsaws: hhtp://lagunatools.com
i just received a dvd from them on some of their tools. WOW. :eek: they look very well put together. :thumbsup:

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
A table saw with a thin curf rip blade is also a good way to resaw if your wood is 5"s or less. You can flip the board for a through cut. Depending on your saw... 2 hp, would be nice.Rick
You stole my thunder. What he said...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Boxer,hello! I have a 14" Powermatic w/6" riser.Funny thing is it's my 1st bandsaw so I cannot compare to others,but I can tell you what I've learned about resawing.Horsepower is the key to effective and efficient resaw.My "PMatic" is manufactured by WMH tooling,the makers of JET, it comes standard with 1.5 hp motor,the Carter quick tensioner and carter type bearing assemblies,also has a little blow tube to move sawdust from the cutline(not with the dust I create!).Recently I sliced a small red oak burl log 49" long x 12" thick and installed it in a jig I made that slides along through the mitre slot.I ripped it into several 8/4 slabs with a beautiful cut to boot. It never missed a beat.I have also been accurately resawing 4/4 Hickory(my enemy) into 3/16" thick boards.I use a 2 TPI 3/4" swedish steel "Timbersomethingolforanother"blade.One of my points is (and I heard you say "not cheap")that for less than $900 you get the whole package.You'll want to do somethings to the saw to suit you better like maybe a taller rail on the rip fence,get the riser and such,but the biggest key to resawing effectivly is having enough HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts