Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know things cost more up there but with no fence and a tiny motor it seems high. Besides, I wouldn't consider a saw I couldn't see cut.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This one is available but it gets mixed reviews and I'm not sure if it comes with the fence system. It is also missing the blade he said he broke and he hasn't replaced it since.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/4258214691.html

Craftsman 14" bandsaw. $404 currently and no fence for re sawing.

Input ?
The ridged BS is the weak link in their power tool offerings. The c-man is built by the same factory that builds rikon BSs

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The ridgid saw has always had vibration issues, that said there are pretty good tutorials on the web about fixing the issues fairly inexpensively. I wouldn't pay 250 for it.....but if you get it below 200, your in the ballpark.

The craftsman saw is a pretty darn good saw for the money.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if I step down to the 10" craftsman? They are having a sale on that saw for $199 and it includes a fence system....

My only use with bandsaws have been with powermatic ones... So I have no idea what the downside of the 10" would be besides 4" re-saw?

I don't plan on using this a lot in my shop and would much rather spend the extra cash on other tools if the 10" would get me by.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
a 10 inch saw won't do much for resawing at all.....they're really meant more for light hobby work in soft woods....you would be much better served by a 14 inch saw.

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
now get a good blade

I have 2 of those, each with a different blade and I love them. A got a used one on Craigs List for $250, so I could not pass it up liking the new on I got on sale at Sears at $480 or so.

I use a 1/2" wide 3 TPI blade on one for resawing, and a 3/8" wide 6 TPI on the other for general sawing, even some fine ripping for tenons. I use Starret or Lenox blade stock and weld my own blades, but you can order them in 99 3/4" lengths. Get several at a time to make the shipping worth while as they are very light.
This is a good source:
http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/products.html

The saw has enough power if you don't push to fast and have a sharp blade. You made a good choice. :thumbsup:

See post 13 for an easy to make bandsaw fence:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/mortise-tenon-35063/

BTW the stock fence is a bit of a pain to get back on if you slide it off.
It does "self square to the table however. You can make one with a block on the front end at 90 degrees, which I did, I just don't have a photo handy. That one works great with the Jorgenson clamp.

Another method:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/home-made-magnetic-bandsaw-fence-58276/

·
Banned
16 Posts
You'll love this saw! I bought one about 6 months ago. I agree with woodnthings on blades and how nice this saw is except I bought a magnafence II from Carter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW the stock fence is a bit of a pain to get back on if you slide it off.
It does "self square to the table however. You can make one with a block on the front end at 90 degrees, which I did, I just don't have a photo handy. That one works great with the Jorgenson clamp.
The saw comes with a fence?? Mine didn't.

I lucked out too.... They were having a sale and I walked out the door for $404.99. Felt that was a great deal for a 14" saw.

Thanks for all the helpful information! Guess I will be building a fence as a project here soon.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The saw comes with a fence?? Mine didn't.

I lucked out too.... They were having a sale and I walked out the door for $404.99. Felt that was a great deal for a 14" saw.

Thanks for all the helpful information! Guess I will be building a fence as a project here soon.
I have the Craftsman 14" bandsaw and can confirm that the Rikon fence fits it. You can see it here on Amazon, and it is also orderable via Sears.com
. The price fluctuates at each, although right now it looks like Sears is cheaper. As per the comments on Amazon, I had to make a shim out of some 1/8 aluminum as the Rikon table must be just a tad bit thicker.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As per the comments on Amazon, I had to make a shim out of some 1/8 aluminum as the Rikon table must be just a tad bit thicker.
This is interesting, I also ordered up the Rikon fence but mine bolted right up and works great. I purchased the saw in Oct 2013, maybe the new ones are slightly different (not sure how old yours is).

I put the fence on yesterday and ripped a 2x12 into 1 in strips, worked great, no blade drift, this is with the stock blade still. I think I read somewhere on this board a suggestion that you should run the new saw (any saw actually) with the stock blade, that way when you upgrade the blade you will have a better appreciation of the saw.

On a different topic, I was finally able to spend some time sawing and just playing around with it this weekend. Is it common for these types of saws to have to adjust the guides if you change the height? It is pretty simple to do, just wondering.

My first bandsaw was a 9" Delta hobby saw, not much good for anything. I would never have been able to rip the board above on it. So far I really like this Craftsman.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I just got a new bandsaw too! I picked up the Rikon 10-321 version of that craftsman yesterday. It was $419 at Woodcraft. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts