Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upsized to a Laguna 18' LT3000. i am having trouble with burning and inability to cut a radius anywhere near the suggested spec on a 3/8 " 3 tpi
blade. I purchased with the saw. I haven't rounded over the back of the blade, but it doesn't want to cut even a six inch radius. I think tension is good, looked over Fine Woodworking bandsaw tune up. HELP (a newby to the forum?)

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,541 Posts
The set on the blade teeth may have been flattened, causing a tight fit to the blade body and thus the burning and lack of turning radius. This happens sometimes when the blade is allowed to run between the guide bearings too far back ironing the teeth flat. Time for a new blade.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Checked on a blade supplier, their recommended width for the radius to be cut :

1/8-inch blade = 3/16-inch minimum radius cut
3/16-inch blade = 5/16-inch minimum radius cut
1/4-inch blade = 5/8-inch minimum radius cut
3/8-inch blade = 1-1/2 inch minimum radius cut
1/2-inch blade = 2-1/2 inch minimum radius cut
5/8-inch blade = 4 inch minimum radius cut
3/4-inch blade = 5-1/2 inch minimum radius cut
1-inch blade = 7 inch minimum radius cut

2" – 28"R

1 1/2" – 21"R

1 1/4" – 12"R

1" – 7 1/2"R

3/4" – 5 7/16"R

5/8" – 3 3/4"R

1/2" – 21/2"R

3/8" – 1 7/16"R

1/4" – 5/8"R

3/16" – 5/16"R

1/8" – 1/8"R

1/16" – SQuARE

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just bought a Laguna 14 | 12 and a Laguna 1/2" 3 tpi blade, and it has done everything I've thrown, including resawing 4" cherry and cutting a 15" radius curve. If you're using a Laguna blade the tension meter should be spot on. Failing that I would ask if you are 100% sure about your blade's quality. I hit a piece of a screw while resawing and immediately after that was getting terrible blade drift. Got a new blade and it's back to perfect (metal detector in the mail). Failing blade quality I would go over all the adjustments once more, surprised no one has mentioned this video yet, it seems to get posted any time I ask a band saw question.

I have also recently noticed that the weld quality on Laguna blades isnt as good as some others like Timberwolf. I would round the back of the blade before making too many changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GISer3546=
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You,
I am a newbie to the bandsaw, and that video was awesome. I learned so much, I now- know why I had some problems.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You're welcome, Alex Snodgrass seems to be the going band saw bible around here. I was hesitant to mention it because my new laguna has forced me to ignore much of what he said. Mostly dealing with the blade placement and working with two point ceramic blade guides instead of bearings. But, he makes some good points and has helped me considerably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all. Will walk it through if I I'd problem will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts