Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Rikon 14" bandsaw so am still getting used to it as this is my first bandsaw. I tried to resaw a 2" by 12" cherry board and nearly ruined it so I desperately need some advice here. I understand blade drift and do not believe this is the problem. After the blade was about 4 or 5 " into the board the blade would start turning towards the fence. Upon inspection of the board, it seemed to be worse at the top of the board than the bottom. The top blade guides were set 1/2" above the wood. I was using a 3 tpi 1/2" hook blade. I feel the blade was twisting as the motor would bog down. Is it a) poor quality blade b) improper feed rate c) too much wood for the machine d) operator error e) blade tension incorrect f)other. Thanks for your thoughts and will be appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If it's a new machine, take for granted that it has never been tuned, or tested for that matter!
There's a youtube video about setting up and tuning a bandsaw. After you've watched that, you should be well on your way to fixing your problem.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have found that usually when my saw(20"rockwell) does that- I am usually over compensating for drift. Getting drift angle right becomes more and more critical the thicker the cut is. Not that it helps but I have ruined wood the same way. Now when I set up I try something as hard or harder in the same size to check my setup before cutting my nice piece.

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
That's a bit tall to start with!

You would do well to start with a 6" piece to get the hang of it first.
You MUST have a sharp blade with a fair amount of set to the teeth.
Although it's a new blade it not be the highest quality and that's what you need for resawing. Starret, Lenox, Super Cut and Timberwolf available from Grizzly, all make good blades. Factory supplied blades are notorious for being an issue.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/165020
http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/products.html

Drift is another issue with 2 sides to it. Some blades require drift compensation, others do not. Mine don't, and when they start "driftin" it's time to change them out. I weld my own from roll stock so I am familiar with bad welds, DKMHIKT. :laughing:

Here's the tune up video:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bandsaw video

I just finished the bandsaw video recommended. It was great! I know there are multiple setup problems on my saw that I now believe I can solve. I feel much more confident now about resawing. Will practice what I saw and let you know how I have done. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Important to remember that a poor quality blade makes the best band-saw and set up poor.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whether you have an expensive or cheap band saw blade, your blade will not perform right unless you have the proper band saw set up.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I recently purchased a Rikon 14" bandsaw so am still getting used to it as this is my first bandsaw. I tried to resaw a 2" by 12" cherry board and nearly ruined it so I desperately need some advice here. I understand blade drift and do not believe this is the problem. After the blade was about 4 or 5 " into the board the blade would start turning towards the fence. Upon inspection of the board, it seemed to be worse at the top of the board than the bottom. The top blade guides were set 1/2" above the wood. I was using a 3 tpi 1/2" hook blade. I feel the blade was twisting as the motor would bog down. Is it a) poor quality blade b) improper feed rate c) too much wood for the machine d) operator error e) blade tension incorrect f)other. Thanks for your thoughts and will be appreciated.
That size board for that size saw seems out of proportion to me. Of course I have never tried to cut that size board on that size saw. I always did my resawing on a saw at the base hobby shop that was much larger.

George

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bandsaw re sawing update

I viewed the recommended Snodgrass video and went to the shop with my new found knowledge. I quickly realized that about the only thing I had set up correctly was the blade wasn't on backwards. I made all the adjustments very carefully. I then tried more resawing and while greatly improved still wasn't quite right. I ordered a new 3/4" 3 tpi saw blade. It finally arrived today so I anxiously installed it. There is a little bit of blade drift which is easily compensated for. In other words, I believe that my problems have been resolved and I got smarter in the process! A win-win. Thanks to all for the useful suggestions and the video referral.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Using a standard (probably 1/4") blade on a 14" saw to resaw a wide hardwood board will not work. The blade generally supplied with new saws is a 1/4" blade and is not a top quality blade. Unlike table saws, you need specific blades for specific bandsaw jobs. You need a 1/2" resaw blade to resaw a wide board.

Once you get the proper blade, align you saw completely. Then practice using some 4" wide boards to learn how to properly feed the board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts