Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I build cabinetry and furniture as a side job, and have slowly been building up the tools in my shop. For years I ran the business with my dad, and had access to the years of tool collecting he had in his shop. I was forced to move away, and have had to build up my shop project to project.

I recently finished up one of the bigger jobs I've gotten, and after allocating my proceeds to bills, etc, I have about $500-$600 to spend on a new tool. I can't decide between a Dewalt planer (
) or a Grizzly 14 inch bandsaw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0555LX?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=G0555LX").

I feel like the bandsaw would offer more versatility for me, resawing, cutting curves, etc, but I think the planer would offer better value. I don't currently buy rough lumber, as I can get it dressed from my local lumber yard without paying much more. But the ability to buy rough lumber, especially here in Western New York where I get a lot of wood movement, is intriguing to me. I do have a jointer, so there isn't an issue there.

I've heard good things about the Dewalt planer, but other than online reviews, I haven't heard anything about the Grizzly bandsaw. I fear I might get buyers remorse if I get the bandsaw and it sucks, but I would hate to buy the planer and end up not using it enough.

Anyone else have a similar dilemma or can anyone offer some advice? Outside of these 2 tools, I don't really have any other big tool purchases that I need. Both of these would be luxuries at this point, as I've gotten by for years without them. Which is the better luxury to have?

·
Registered
26,630 Posts
Both machines are very useful but if it was either or I would choose the bandsaw. I worked for many years without a planer but I've had a bandsaw most of my life. I didn't even have a local lumber company that would surface lumber for me.

·
amateur
235 Posts
Hey,

I have a different Dewalt planer that I have been very happy with -- knife changes are very easy, dust collection is excellent (except when the dust collector bag is full) and sniping is fairly reasonable. however, it is extremely loud.

With that said, unless you have a jointer, only getting a planer is not particularly useful.

A bandsaw will give you more flexibility than a planer alone.

Greg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an old Craftsman jointer I bought on CL a year or so ago. I cleaned it up and it runs great.

I tried looking on CL for a used planer and bandsaw hoping I could get both for the same as I could get 1 new, but I've been looking for about a month now and there hasn't been a decent band saw or planer posted.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have both, a Ridgid planer and a Grizzly G0555G bandsaw. If I could only have one, and could get rough cut wood planed cheaply, I'd probably get the bandsaw. I use mine quite a bit for resawing, plus of course, cutting curves. However, I almost always wind up planing anything I resaw, as it leaves a fairly rough surface. So, kinda need both in my case. I got the planer first, and had a small benchtop bandsaw, which worked ok for cutting curves, but balked at resawing, probably due to the fact that I couldn't find a suitable blade for it. When I got the Grizzly, man, what an improvement.

So I can't really give you an answer, but those are my thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does that Grizzly do with resawing? That's something I want to be able to do after I get a planer. Is the Grizzly a good enough saw that I'm not going to have to worry about upgrading any time soon? I'd hate to spend the money on the band saw, only to feel like I need to upgrade to a better one in a year or so.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I purchased my jointer and planer before my bandsaw but I needed them in that order.

I have the 555LX from Grizzly and I love it. The 555 series is a well regarded saw. The LX is just a version with cast iron wheels and rack and pinion blade guide. Its also on sale right now for a really great price! If I had it to do again, Id buy one with a little more HP but with proper blade, it does well in thick stock.

For a planer, I highly reccommend the Steel City 40200H over the DeWalt planers. Youll have to do your own research though, I dont feel like getting into that debate again. lol

·
2,442 Posts
How does that Grizzly do with resawing? That's something I want to be able to do after I get a planer. Is the Grizzly a good enough saw that I'm not going to have to worry about upgrading any time soon? I'd hate to spend the money on the band saw, only to feel like I need to upgrade to a better one in a year or so.
Ive sawed 6" thick stock without issue. Obviously you need to adjust your feed rate for stock that thick but it handles it pretty well. I wouldnt be afraid to resaw 10" stock but thats probably about the limit without a HP upgrade. It requires a riser block to saw thicker than 6".

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would buy a bandsaw myself. I dont have a planer and i buy rough cut almost exclusively. Don't plan to buy one either. And here's a Craigslist ad for a used Jet bandsaw that's worth buying. It's a 1hp JWBD-14CS. I almost bought it but decided to hold off for a bit.

On another note, where in western NY are you? And where do you typically buy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Kenmore. I usually go to Mosher Lumber. Great prices, and I've gotten some really good lumber from there. I used to go to Advantage Lumber, but they now have a 100 BF minimum, and a lot of times I don't need that much, and don't have the money to buy in bulk.

·
2,442 Posts
I would buy a bandsaw myself. I dont have a planer and i buy rough cut almost exclusively. Don't plan to buy one either. And here's a Craigslist ad for a used Jet bandsaw that's worth buying. It's a 1hp JWBD-14CS. I almost bought it but decided to hold off for a bit.

On another note, where in western NY are you? And where do you typically buy?
So how are you surfacing your lumber?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hand planes, router sled, belt sander...whatever works quickest. Usually a combination of hand planing followed by sanding and a card scraper. If I do a large panel, I glue them up and then use a router sled to flatten and surface it.

PS...I live right in Tonawanda.

·
2,442 Posts
I dunno how anyone makes wood flat and parallel with a belt sander. The other methods seem like a lot of unnecissary work IMO. To each thier own I guess.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have a small bandsaw......i've never actually used it for anything I couldn't have done some other way.....but my planer...I use that on almost every project....

For me.....it'd be the planer hands down.......And I have the DW735X......I'd buy another.....

The bandsaw would be nice if you need to do a bunch of resawing....but otherwise i'd go planer....

·
2,442 Posts
Id agree with Ryan on the bandsaw if I didnt turn. I had almost no use for a bandsaw untill I started turning. The bandsaw just makes quick work of breaking down turning blanks. I like that I can collect chunks from peoples wood piles and turn them into blanks for the lathe. I do like that I have the ability to resaw now but If I didnt turn, I dunno that I would have purchased a bandsaw.

·
Registered
135 Posts
re: resawing on the Grizzly.

I recently was resawing 4/4 x 6 1/4" quartersawn oak with no problems at all. I have a 1/2" 3tpi Olsen blade that works great for that purpose.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I dunno how anyone makes wood flat and parallel with a belt sander. The other methods seem like a lot of unnecissary work IMO. To each thier own I guess.

I agree......I've tried using planes to get wood surfaced.......but I loose patience and just run it through my planer.

I did complete a smoothing job once with hand planes......but it was on cedar which I think I may have been able to surface with a butter knife....

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
I own a delta planer, I use it on occassion. however, I do not own a band saw, If i had the oppertunity, I would trade the planer for a band saw.

I typically will surface and thickness boards by had, so I am used to that. I would however like the ability to have resawing thick stock much easier then by hand as well. And/or making veneers, etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts