Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this bandsaw?

I know its listed as a metal cutting saw (the large housing on the bottom of the one side probably has a speed-reducer in it), but could it be a good woodworking saw (if the speed were increased)?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4317056475.html

I have a Sears Craftsman 12" tilting-table model from the 80's and it never works well unless you are cutting thin (3/4" or less) stock. It's just too light-duty constructed to improve much.

Steve

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hard to judge from that pic, but it appears to another one of those imports that cloned the c frame deisgn. I'd pass on ot and wait for a vintage Delta/Rockwell of the same design shows up. They are usually around that price (+/-) as well, and you would have a saw that could be used with no tinkering. That said, some of those saws were sold with variable speeds that allowed them to be used on both wood and metal. So, if you did speed it up, it would likely work with wood. The unknown to me would be the wheels/tires; whether they are made differently on a metal cutting saw,

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Not nearly enough resaw capacity to make that worth it, in my opinion. It might be doable as a woodworking saw but I suspect you'll be just about as happy with it as you are your current saw.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I actually think its older than a chinese clone saw......maybe I'm wrong but it looks older to me.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Looks a bit older to me, too. Nice big table! If it's used for metal cutting, you might want to check to see if the blade speed is high enough for woodworking. That can be fixed with a pulley change but just sayin'. Also, I'd want at least a 1 HP motor.

Bill

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Before I upgraded, I was using a 12" craftsman to resaw boards 5 inches wide. Was probably pushing the saw a bit beyond its limits, but it worked okay. If' you're having problems with anything more than 3/4, you should check to see if a better blade and a tune up would help. I was using it with the stock 1/2 HP motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts