Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you know I have a 10" homecraft bandsaw, well I just got a new motor at a garage sale for $5 and was wondering if I could swap out motors. This is a 1/2 hp and the one on the Bandsaw is a 1/3 hp. If so what will I benefit from it. image-3593757041.jpg image-1492859673.jpg Thanks for the help. Laughing!!!!! Just saw the typo for the title. Motor swap.
Here's the BS

image-2471566910.jpg

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No reason that won't work .... You'll cut a bit faster through thick material.

Make sure the one on the saw now is the same 1725 rpm....and make sure the pulley sizes are the same, or swap them if they aren't.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it wouldn't cut faster, but would help it from bogging down?
I don't know.
Thanks Ryan.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
As a saw bogs down, it cuts slower. It won't cut faster in thin stock, only thick stock.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ryan50hrl said:
No reason that won't work .... You'll cut a bit faster through thick material. Make sure the one on the saw now is the same 1725 rpm....and make sure the pulley sizes are the same, or swap them if they aren't.
Does the rpm need to be the same?
I'm pretty sure the pulleys are the same. I'll check.

·
where's my table saw?
28,752 Posts
yah, it will "help" .....

But not that much. The increase from 1/3HP to 1/2HP is not that much. My little 10" Craftsman has a 1/3 HP motor and it chugs along if I don't push it.
If it were me, and you did get a good deal on the 1/2 HP motor, I'd hang on to it for another project. It won't make that much difference on the little bandsaw.
A while back I went from a 1 HP Craftsman motor on my 10" table saw to a 2 HP Baldor motor and it made a huge difference, almost scary. :eek: I used it for ripping only and that made it a different machine, unstoppable.

Reactions: Dominick

·
7,222 Posts
Heck for $5 purchase price, I would make the swap. May help a little in thicker stock.

Do not throw away the 1/3HP motor though, it can be used for your eventual purchase of the Beall buffing wheels for the turnings you eventually will start to make. :icon_smile:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My BS chugs along good I have to say, but on thicker stock it wants to take a nap. I'll consider the swap and see what happens. My biggest thing was I wasn't sure if it's comparable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
While it`s not a significant increase it should be possible so long as the directions match up. You may have to do some tinkering with the rpm but it can be done. I Would like to say that this is a temporary fix, soon you`ll want an upgrade to atleast a 1 hp 14 inch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts