Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After two years of working on the house, it's time to build the workshop. I've been reading and researching 18" bandsaws. I must have read about fifty articles including many different forum threads. Over all everyone seems to agree on the more Horse Power, the better. Here's where I get confused. I'm looking for a metal & wood machine. Yet, resawing is a biggie as well. The Jet MW machine for example is only 1HP. Now if cutting through metal is tuffet and requires more horse power, why are the combination bandsaws low in horse power? Thanks for any info you may have.

Brian

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Horsepower is a number that can be easily fudged by the manufacturers of electric products. The reliable guide is, how many amperes does the motor draw? A horsepower is about 750 watts, or about 7 amps. I looked at a Ridgid vac today that claimed 6 "peak" HP, but has an 11 amp motor, or about 1½ HP in constant use. I use amps as my guide.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Horsepower is a number that can be easily fudged by the manufacturers of electric products. The reliable guide is, how many amperes does the motor draw? A horsepower is about 750 watts, or about 7 amps. I looked at a Ridgid vac today that claimed 6 "peak" HP, but has an 11 amp motor, or about 1½ HP in constant use. I use amps as my guide.
+1. That holds true for almost every power tool. The vacuum people seem to be a bit extra over optimistic. My Shop Vac is 6.5 HP with an 11 amp motor!!! On vacuums I look at max CFM and max inches of water, both of which can be misleading but are a better indication of performance for vacuums.:smile:

·
where's my table saw?
27,857 Posts
a combo machine.....

Hi All,

After two years of working on the house, it's time to build the workshop. I've been reading and researching 18" bandsaws. I must have read about fifty articles including many different forum threads. Over all everyone seems to agree on the more Horse Power, the better. Here's where I get confused. I'm looking for a metal & wood machine. Yet, resawing is a biggie as well. The Jet MW machine for example is only 1HP. Now if cutting through metal is tuffet and requires more horse power, why are the combination bandsaws low in horse power? Thanks for any info you may have.

Brian
The reason a strictly metal cutting bandsaw may only have a 3/4 or 1 HP motor is speed reduction. By "gearing" down the speed using pulleys or other means you multiply the torque. The speed of a metal cutting blade for steel is about 100 FPM, where a wood cutting blade is around 3500 FPM. So, unless you intend to cut non-ferrous metals like aluminum or brass you won't be able to cut steel on a "combo" machine, the speed is too high even with a step pulley reduction. You need a gear reduction or a serious jackshaft with pulleys.

The discussion of how horsepower is determined on various portable and stationary power tools will continue. A 3 HP Baldor or Grizzly motor is about 10" in diameter and will weigh 75 lbs or so.
Compare that to a AC/DC router or circular saw motor which is about 3" or 4"" in diameter and weighs under 10 lbs.....? Something doesn't add up. :no: Shop vacs are even more exaggerated .... 6.5 HP baloney.

So there are separate discussions here, metal vs wood cutting, and speed and required horsepower, vs rated horsepower.

In my experience, a good 14" bandsaw will require a 1 HP motor to resaw through it's rated capacity in hardwood. For example, my 14" Craftsman Pro has a 1 HP motor and will resaw around 8" thick material. My 18" Min Max has a 3HP motor and will resaw around 12" material. You need the extra power for the thicker material. :yes:

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
1 Hp will cut metal alright. I have a horizontal bandsaw that has a 1 hp motor and I often cut 1/2"x6" steel with it. I think more hp would be needed for resawing hardwood than the metal work. Personally I wouldn't want to use one saw to do both. I often use oil with cutting steel and it would take too much cleaning to clean the oil and steel particles off the saw to use for wood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I have a good amount of both hand held and stationary machines. I've never had such a hard time finding a machine based on the replies here, I found metal & wood 17" machine that runs on 220 single phase, 2 HP and speed range from 100 to 3600 FPM. Because of space, I'm limited to one machine.

Here's the machine: http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0640x_m.pdf.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brian

·
where's my table saw?
27,857 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts