Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
n/a
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here, thanks for letting me join. i bought a used Laguna LT18 bandsaw (2005 model). want to use it for resaw and looking for ideas on a resaw fence. manufacturer does not have any, also none to retrofit.

· The Nut in the Cellar
1,985 Posts
Welcome!
This the one I made for my 10" bandsaw. It is 6 1/2" tall as the saw has a 7" resaw capacity. Size can be altered to fit the saw. I made it from scrap 3/4" oak veneered plywood. It clamps to the saw table so you can adjust it for drift.
Wood Wood stain Floor Hardwood Flooring

· where's my table saw?
32,644 Posts
There are two basic approaches:
Clamp a fence over the top of your existing one which save making all the necessary steps to lock it down.
Start from scratch like Jim's and make a simple "L" shaped fence to clamp on the table.
The first approach may NOT allow you to correct for drift, however if your OEM doesn't provide for it.

Reactions: B and B

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,525 Posts
i dont even have a fence to start with, looks like im gonna need to build one from scratch
That answers what I wasn't sure about in your original post, if you needed a taller fence for resawing or you are starting from zero.

I don't have experience with after market BS fences, in general Kreg is a good brand.
They have a couple of heights of add-ons for resawing.

On Google, Amazon etc search for: bandsaw fence

Some are magnetic, I'd rather have a rail system. This Grizzly is interesting, but you would need to check that it will fit the front-to-back size of your table. Maybe if your table is larger the fence can work without the rear rail?

Please post what solution you come up with.

Edit: Sometimes I make my own shop stuff, sometimes I prefer to buy it. Here's a DIY example:

· Premium Member
4,781 Posts
You got a nice saw there. Wow you can't get a fence from Laguna?

I wouldn't make one. There are aftermarket fences, I think about any can be retrofitted. The fence on my Rikon was garbage, so I installed a Kreg fence. Its not the best, but ok. I'd take a look at the Woodcraft fence.

For resawing, I attach a tall fence like the others show using T bolt. If you cut a notch in the middle you can lower the guide other than that you need a couple sizes.

Had to do over, I would to with a magnetic fence.

· Registered
396 Posts
I used the center mounted rack and pinion fence on my table saw as a model for this resawing fence. I'd lived with that table saw fence for a long time and didn't think I needed to reinvent the wheel. This style of rip fence was common on heavier industrial saws.
Wood Machine tool Lathe Machine Engineering

Wood Gas Machine tool Engineering Machine

I agree with the comments that matching the fence to the cutting line of the saw is important, especially using narrow kerf bands with very little set. This base bolts to the saw table with a single pivot, and the two screw adjustments against the table edge swing it and lock it into place. A locknut on the back screw holds the setting when the fence is removed.

I do most initial ripping of solid stock with this fence now. I like the fence on the right side of the saw, just like a table saw.
I use the magnetic base and feeler gauges to make the final adjustment when sawing veneer.

· Registered
n/a
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That answers what I wasn't sure about in your original post, if you needed a taller fence for resawing or you are starting from zero.

I don't have experience with after market BS fences, in general Kreg is a good brand.

Some are magnetic, I'd rather have a rail system. This Grizzly is interesting, but you would need to check that it will fit the front-to-back size of your table. Maybe if your table is larger the fence can work without the rear rail?

Edit: Sometimes I make my own shop stuff, sometimes I prefer to buy it. Here's a DIY example:
while your shop made looks and works great, my blade is changed from the front and not the side so thats added a new dimension for me to think on. i bought this saw on auction. it a 2004, europen(italy) model, it does run but thats all i know. need to get a blade, try to do a tune up, and figure out my fence, thanks

· where's my table saw?
32,644 Posts
while your shop made looks and works great, my blade is changed from the front and not the side so thats added a new dimension for me to think on. i bought this saw on auction. it a 2004, europen(italy) model, it does run but thats all i know. need to get a blade, try to do a tune up, and figure out my fence, thanks
I have several bandsaws and several table saws all with different fences.
I've also made one for the bandsaw using and "F" clamp and 3 pieces of wood.:
I shouldn't make a great deal of difference in the design of the fence whether the slot for the blade is on the front (remove the front rail) or on the side.
The fence should clamp on the front rail, Biesemeyer style, not front to back like my DIY quickie version, ideally.
That's because a front style clamp will automatically align itself parallel to the blade, no fiddling with measuring front and back. I added a "T" type head to mine after I posted version 1 here.
Wood Milling Hardwood Gas Wood stain

· Registered
n/a
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

as i looked on the Laguna website (and accessories are limited), i looked at their current models and they look almost unchanged in 17 years i finally got hold of Laguna and talked with a rep about the standard rip fence they currently sell, and she was gonna pass my info on to a technician. i swear they look like it should still work!

· Registered
1,094 Posts
In the shop I just retired from teaching in we had two resaw fences for our large bandsaw. On was flat, and most of the time just clamping it parallel to the miter slot in the bed would be fine. In cases where the blade like to drift the "point" fence was used. A fence with an L-shaped front. It would be set so the tip of the fence was aligned with and parallel to the front edge of the blade. Students would draw a line they want to rip down and watch the blade as they fed the board through to make approach adjustments to keep it running down that line.

· Registered
1,094 Posts
The only danger of magnets holding the fence in place is that they can be bumped sideways, even more easily of you've waxed your table. I know this from experience. On my router table I set the fence where I want it by locking one end down with a magnet, fine adjust the distance before locking the other end down with a magnet, then putting C-clamps on both ends. Where I taught the students would often forget to turn one or both of the magnets before starting their bandsaw cuts.

· Premium Member
4,781 Posts
The only danger of magnets holding the fence in place is that they can be bumped sideways, even more easily of you've waxed your table. I know this from experience. On my router table I set the fence where I want it by locking one end down with a magnet, fine adjust the distance before locking the other end down with a magnet, then putting C-clamps on both ends. Where I taught the students would often forget to turn one or both of the magnets before starting their bandsaw cuts.
Using Mag Locks? Watch the Taytool video I think that will change your mind.

· where's my table saw?
32,644 Posts
Using Mag Locks? Watch the Taytool video I think that will change your mind.
Font Electronic device Box Gas Audio equipment

I use these welding magnets with an ON/OFF switch. They claim to have a 90 lb breakaway force. In my experience, they really hold and are difficult to move once they are turned ON. Mine are the older models with a rotary ON/OFF switch, but work the same.

Reactions: difalkner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts