Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I recently purchased a Craftsman benchtop drill press and am waiting for a 9" ShopMate bandsaw to be delivered.
I need to put both of them (separately) on work stands, but am leery of the universal metal stands 'cause I have a grinder/polisher on one and it seems pretty inadequate.
Does anyone have a link to a simple drill press or bandsaw work stand?
I appreciate your replies.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Nice idea Orson.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the tip.
I guess when you get down to it, the stand one uses doesn't HAVE to be designed to be used in the shop! Cool!
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm new here but I've been lurking around every W/W site I could find and this one got me thinking. Why the hell are we so concerned with making our shops look like the ones in the [your favorite Wood rag here] shops??? If you have your drillpress on a stack of old 2X4's who cares? If it gets the job done you just saved yer self some dough to go buy more wood!!!!

Sorry...like I said I'm new.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm new here but I've been lurking around every W/W site I could find and this one got me thinking. Why the hell are we so concerned with making our shops look like the ones in the [your favorite Wood rag here] shops??? If you have your drillpress on a stack of old 2X4's who cares? If it gets the job done you just saved yer self some dough to go buy more wood!!!!

Sorry...like I said I'm new.
Welcome Corndog, I had a shop just like you mentioned and finally got so fed up with losing things, having to take so long to find something not to mention move a tool for whatever reason. Things always seamed to take longer to do as well, and it always seamed a chore just to get started so I started retrofiting my shop with new cabinets, storage, mobile bases and so on and really injoyed the whole process which is on going for now. Now when I go into the shop I feel good about being in there and what to acually do something and its a great past timer. As the ol saying goes " to each is own"
http://www.geocities.com/dmhworkshop/introductionpage1

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is definitely something to say about neatness and organization in a shop of any size.
I have a friend that is an amazing artist. Paints things like no-one else can in vision let alone put down with paint. His shop is the best example of a mess there is. He is always saying I have to get this stuff together. For more than 25 or so years now. When I walk in the it is hard not to bump into things.
To each his own is a good way to put it. But I like things to look nice and be neat. With saws spinning, and electrical cords around it is also safer to have cabinets and such.
Be safe in your shop no matter how it looks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts