Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I bought a used 14" grizzly G1019 last week.

image-1307573437.jpg

Got it for $150, ran smooth & quiet when I bought it. Came with an extension block kit that I installed. Never used.

Tires were shot, so I replaced them. Replaced the guide blocks & support bearings and bought a new 3/4" resaw blade. Previous owner didn't have the machine tuned well at all.

Anyway I tensioned the blade and adjusted the tracking. When I fired it up, I noticed a wobble in the upper wheel. Adjusting tension didn't help. Upon further inspection, the wheel wobbles slightly under no tension as well.

How likely is a bent wheel? Is there something else that could be causing these symptoms? I'm stumped.

Brian

·
Registered
157 Posts
It could also be the bearing the upper wheel sits on. If the former owner left it under tension for long spells, the first thing I would do is look at the bearing and see if it needs to be replaced. While you do that go ahead and take off the top wheel and put it on a flat surface and see if its bent. If its not, then I suspect the bearing. If it is neither, then look at whatever rod the bearing sits on. After that, I have no clue.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 2 bearings, 1 inner and 1 outer, and a hollow space in between. Shaft is straight as an arrow. Bearings seem to be just fine. They spin freely and smoothly.

The wheel's hub protrudes slightly, so laying the wheel on my bench didn't help because the edge of the wheel didn't hit the bench.

Brian

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
What kind of tires did you put on the saw? Sometimes urethane tires are problematic because they are not glued on. Rubber tires take some work to true and crown them to make it run smooth.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires are polyurethane. Soaked them in 150+ degree water for about 10 mins so I could stretch them over the wheels. They sat overnight before being reinstalled on the saw.

Brian

·
7,222 Posts
If this is like my 17in Grizzly, the upper wheel has screws to adjust the angle of the wheel to be parallel with the lower wheel. My band saw has 4 such screws arranged around the axle. Could some of these be loose?

Can you feel anything loose when you rotate by hand?

I would hope a wheel does not get warped by being under tension, but no telling what forces have been applied by previous owners.

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
If the wheel is tight on the spindle then there must be some irregularity in the wheel or the tire. It's possible that the tire is a little thicker on one side throwing it off. It's also possible the wheel is a little out of round and the previous tire was just trued to fit it. I would probably clamp something stationary up against the wheel and check to see if it is truly round.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been able - through process of elimination - to determine that the wheel itself is indeed bent ever so slightly. Just enough to make the blade dance forward & back while the saw is running. Going to contact Grizzly about a replacement wheel.

Brian

·
Registered
834 Posts
First thing I would do is change your blade a 3/4 inch blade will never be able to be tension properly with that saw. You said it ran good until you changed the blade and tires that's where I would look first. Grab a bandsaw book like this one Band Saw Handbook: Mark Duginske: 0049725063983: Amazon.com: Books and double check everything you did. Maybe the weld in the new blade is bad maybe not but I would check that before I went about ordering a new wheel. I went to check my newer grizzly saw and without any tension at all the upper wheel does move its the tension of the blade that holds it tight.

Reactions: sweensdv

·
where's my table saw?
27,897 Posts
machinery trauma....?

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've been able - through process of elimination - to determine that the wheel itself is indeed bent ever so slightly. Just enough to make the blade dance forward & back while the saw is running. Going to contact Grizzly about a replacement wheel. Brian
Unless the wheel suffered some impact, it just seems remote that the wheel could be bent. Can you rig a dial indicator to a magnetic holder and check the runout? Die cast aluminum wheel I assume?
Your local machine shop could check it and possibly fix it? Not knowing what a new wheel would cost plus new bearings as well you may be further ahead that way.....I donno?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woodnthings said:
Unless the wheel suffered some impact, it just seems remote that the wheel could be bent. Can you rig a dial indicator to a magnetic holder and check the runout? Die cast aluminum wheel I assume?
Your local machine shop could check it and possibly fix it? Not knowing what a new wheel would cost plus new bearings as well you may be further ahead that way.....I donno?
Good call. Die cast aluminum, yes. Didn't even think to stop at the machine shop. Duh. I drive past a small metal tool & die shop on my way to work every day. They'd be able to more accurately judge if the wheel is true than I would.

I'm inexperienced at tuning a bandsaw as well, so it's possible that its due to operator error also. This is the first one I've ever owned. And though it may be new to me, it's 18 years old and has some ticks that need to be worked out.

I ordered the book that Paarker suggested above. Always trying to learn more about everything, maybe that'd be a good place to start.

Brian

·
Registered
902 Posts
I didn't know that polyurethane tires need that amount of degrees. I suggest you watch videos about band saw. I recall Alex Snodgrass. That would help.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Good call. Die cast aluminum, yes. Didn't even think to stop at the machine shop. Duh. I drive past a small metal tool & die shop on my way to work every day. They'd be able to more accurately judge if the wheel is true than I would.

I'm inexperienced at tuning a bandsaw as well, so it's possible that its due to operator error also. This is the first one I've ever owned. And though it may be new to me, it's 18 years old and has some ticks that need to be worked out.

I ordered the book that Paarker suggested above. Always trying to learn more about everything, maybe that'd be a good place to start.

Brian
i would get a 1/2" resaw blade a 3/4" is to big for a 14" saw, i have the delta with riser and use a 1/2" resaw blade and it work's fine , watch this video you may get some pointers from it

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tires are polyurethane. Soaked them in 150+ degree water for about 10 mins so I could stretch them over the wheels. They sat overnight before being reinstalled on the saw.

Brian
why did you wait tell the next day on the tires, i soaked mine and than took them out and put on the wheels, i had the little tool also, did you get one with the tires? if not they may not be on good they must be on so that the tire is flat with the edge of the rim , that is the way mine is , are they orange or black tires ?? like it has be ask when you shake the top wheel is their any thing that seam's loose or some play ? good luck on the saw when you get it ironed out i posted another post also

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
del schisler said:
why did you wait tell the next day on the tires, i soaked mine and than took them out and put on the wheels, i had the little tool also, did you get one with the tires? if not they may not be on good they must be on so that the tire is flat with the edge of the rim , that is the way mine is , are they orange or black tires ?? like it has be ask when you shake the top wheel is their any thing that seam's loose or some play ? good luck on the saw when you get it ironed out i posted another post also
Del thanks for the video link, finally got a chance to sit and watch the whole thing. Very informative.
I only let the wheels/tires sit overnight because I didn't have time to remount them after installing the tires. Life has been busy lately to say the least.
Nothing seems loose in the top shaft/tensioning spring assembly, yet there is definitely a very perceptible wobble in the wheel both with a blade on and without. Bearings are smooth as silk.
I haven't had any time to devote to further investigation into this issue. Hopefully sometime soon I will. I'll be sure to update the thread with what I come across, and will probably have more questions before its good ;-)
Thanks for all the responses guys

When I get a chance, I will try to shoot a few seconds of video so you all can see what I'm dealing with. Maybe that will help some

1 - 16 of 16 Posts