Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the grizzly G0636 17" bandsaw and need to get some new blades. I made a pretty big boo boo and didnt get a new blade from the factory one which is a 1" 4tpi blade that came with the saw. Well needless to say that blade was not meant to cut circles and I tore the back end of it up pretty bad so it no longer cuts right.:censored:

I've done a bit of research but figured I'd get a poll going with you all
I called the Super Cut company which I have heard gets pretty high marks with you all. Their prices seemed reasonable but the advice they fellow gave me did not seem right. I want blades for the saw which do the following things.
1. Roughing out bowl blanks. Supercut guy recommended a 3/16 inch blade 4 tpi skip tooth for this but that seemed small to me. I told him that some of the blanks were 6-8 inches deep but he said the blade could handle it?? Most of the bowl blanks I rough out are pretty large 12-15 inches and 3-7 inches in depth. Blade would need to be good for green and dry wood
2. Resawing for lumber- I get a bunch of off cuts from the halving logs and would like to start using them for lumber... seems a shame to just huck such pretty wood into the fire. For this the supercut fellow recommended a 1/2 inch gold impregnated 3tpi blade.
3. Creating my own inlay and making cuts for segmented turnings- I'd like to have something that can make super specific low kerf cuts for the smaller stuff... Ive never done segmenting but may give it a try one of these days. For this super cut guy recommended a 3/16 14 or 24 tpi blade.
maybe he meant 3/8 inch on the two ones he said 3/16 on?
I would like to get advice on which blades to go with here because even though it's not a crazy amount of money it's still money:) Thanks for any help, happy turnin,
Bond

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I use 1/2" 3TPI for anything with a circle larger than 4". It will do 4 but you have to go slow. For that size and under 1/4" 6tPI. I don't think a bandsaw will cut accuratly enough to do segmented work by itself. I do use one to rough cut some segments when I want the grain to run a certain direction. I use a jig on my disc sander to really true up the segments after the initial cut on the bandsaw.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with John. 1/2 by 3 TPI for bowl blanks. A 3/4 by 3 TPI is really nice for resawing. Also, all the fine wood working reveiws say only go with hook tooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts