Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the year and a half I have owned a Craftsman bandsaw, it has been my practice to release the tension on the blade after each use. A friend with long experience in a commercial machine shop assures me that this was not the practice in his experience.
What is the recommended practice?

·
7,222 Posts
There are two main camps of bandsaw owners, one camp releases the tension after each use, the other camp does not.

My first bandsaw did not have a lever for quick tension release so I was in the second camp.

My present bandsaw does have a quick tension lever, so I switched to the first camp.

Pick a camp. You will find a good number of folks who will agree with whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The last time I detensioned, was after installing a new blade, using it once. Then I forgot to tension it, started the saw and destroyed the blade.:furious:

Now I unplug the machine, then detension.

It is good practice to take the tension off but not crucial. Most times I forget.

Advantages are:

Urethane and rubber looses memory and if the saw is down for a long time the area where the blade runs over the tire gets slightly compressed.

Constant pressure in one spot on the wheel bearings for a long period without movement, will cause a micro spot where the grease is pressed out, a micro anode with a big cathode follows and bearing wear is accelerated.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
I agree with Dave's suggestion.
My bandsaw doesn't have a quick release on the tensioner. When I first got my Bandsaw I never de tensioned it. After breaking a few blades I decided to release tension when not using it and haven't broke a blade since.
If you've been doing that for a year and a half with good luck? Then why change.

·
7,222 Posts
I don't mean to threadjack, but I have a related question. How do you know when you have the right tension on the blade? What's too much/too little?
This would be better as a separate thread. No simple answer, it depends on the manufacturer of the blade.

For example, Timberwolf state their blades are low tension. Back off the tension so the blade flutters when running and increase tension until the fluttering just stops.

Other manufacturers will state to tension so that the blade only deflects e.g., 1/4in or 1/2in when pressed with a finger from the side.

If the blade is tracking correctly in the cut with the present tension, perhaps no need to change. If not tracking, then need to first check the tune-up of the bandsaw before modifying the tension.

Search for Alex Snodgrass video on bandsaw tuneup on YouTube, it is the best I have seen. I followed his directions and it helped me to get my bandsaw blade running true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts