Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I was given an old Boice-Crane cast iron bandsaw, and have had trouble finding a blade for it. I also need a drive belt for it, but finding a flat belt has been even more of an issue. Any help with either would be appreciated.

Here are a couple pictures of the bandsaw.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Any of the online vendors will cut to length. I got some Timberwolf blades on the recommendation from others on here and have been pleased, but there are many others. You are only stuck with stock sizes when you're visiting a retailer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's hard to tell what size it is, but looks like a 14" saw. Just take a tape measure and measure the circumference of the saw going around each wheel.

If it measures around 93", the it's a 14" saw and blades can be gotten from several sources. That's also the case no matter what size the blade is.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to tell what size it is, but looks like a 14" saw. Just take a tape measure and measure the circumference of the saw going around each wheel.

If it measures around 93", the it's a 14" saw and blades can be gotten from several sources. That's also the case no matter what size the blade is.:thumbsup:
If I remember correctly, they are 12" diameter wheels with 19" between the axles. That gives me something like 76" of length for the blade. And that's why I'm having trouble finding a blade, it seems that 76" is no longer a typical length

·
Registered
74 Posts
When you measure for the blade, adjust the tensioner all the way in and out and measure the blade length at each extreme. You may find that a more common and therefore cheaper blade will fit instead.

I have an old craftsman saw that came with a 132" blade, but will fit anything from about 129" to 137". Knowing that I have that range lets me shop a much wider selection of off-the-shelf blades.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Dont worry about "off the shelf" sizes. This company http://supercutbandsaw.com/ makes everything custom when you order. They are also really good blades at really good prices. I doubt youll find a better blade for the money. CS is top notch too. Its the only place I buy blades from.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Muhheakantuck

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
It makes one wonder why flat belts of the dark ages aren't still popular doesn't it. Maybe it has something to do with the normal percentage of slippage, longevity and the aggravation of maintenance.
I am still running some leather belts that have to be a hundred years old.

You don't have to lace a v belt. I am not real sure of the reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts