Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved carbide tipped bandsaw blade broke recently. I'm hoping to get it welded back together. It didn't break at the original weld, so I'm expecting that the blade will end up getting shortened a bit. I'm wondering how much it can be shortened and still fit onto the saw. I have a Delta 14" bandsaw that takes a 93-1/2" blade. I stretched out the broken blade and what do you know, it's exactly 93-1/2 inches. How much shorter can it go (if at all) and still go back on the saw?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before you bring it in for a weld , have you checked for any cracking it maybe too far gone.My saw saw service has warned me about having more than one weld in my blades.
How far can you lower the upper wheel?my small saw goes down pretty far I bet it will take a blade at least a half inch shorter.

·
where's my table saw?
28,992 Posts
upper wheel travel

If the wheel can move vertically 1/4" it takes up 1/2" of blade. A shorter blade will work fine, but the blade tension "indicator" will be off a bit, which is not a big deal anyway.

If your blade thickness is .032" not .025" may be the reason the blade broke.Smaller wheels should run thinner blades. Ask your blade guy what thickness you should run on a 14" bandsaw.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Saw blades become brittle over time. The constant bending over the radius of the wheels causes the metal to become "work hardened".

Have your sharpener carefully check the blade for cracks or other potential problems.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a goldmine of information! I hadn't thought about the thickness at all. These blades are definitely thicker than my steel blades. I guess it to have more surface are to weld the carbide to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts