Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..... This is my first post here but am looking forward to being a long time member.
Well i have recently opened a cabinet shop and am buying equipment as i go. I want a full blown shop and need a few more pieces of equipment. I need a band saw and drill press but i dont have a lot of experience with these machines. I like to buy my equipment once not a 500.00 get by to buy a 1500 dollar machine in 2 yrs. that being said not knowing these machines a 500 dollar machine may be sufficient.
So any help with what features are a must or what sizes i really need would be awesome.
Also im considering a jet jjp12 jointer planer if anyone could chime in on this machine.
Im a cabinet and trim man by trade but would really like to start building furniture as well so all my machines dont have to be powermatic but just solid machines.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
26,889 Posts
If you have three phase in your shop sometimes you could get more bang for the buck purchasing antique machinery. The old cast iron equipment was just built to last forever. Even if you don't have three phase, if you have enough three phase equipment you could wire them all up to a single phase converter and just leave the converter on all day. If you just want new machinery, Northfield Machinery Company still makes equipment made in the old way. They are kinda pricey but very solid durable machines. I bought a shaper in 1986 and except for routine maintenance have never repaired this machine. At the time I was working for another company that had Northfield shapers which they bought before WWII and liked them so I bought one for myself. Except for the magnetic switch the shaper I bought was identical to the old ones.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
jointer/planers

In the real world there are jointers and planers and combo machines that will joint OR plane.
A jointer/planer is a marketing misnomer, commonly used to describe a jointer.

For a fully equipped shop, I would not have a combo machine. Period. I have a good one, a Min Max 13 1/2" S35. but have only used the joiner function. I have other planers from a 15" Jet to a 20" Grizzly. My other jointers run from 6" Craftsman and Jets, to an 8" Grizzly, a fine machine.

Grizzly quality has come a long way from the early Chinese versions and would put it against Powermatic for performance. The fits and finish are top notch in their higher end machines. I also have a 12" Powermatic tablesaw for comparison.

I would not hestitate to equip my entire shop with Grizzly machines. I didn't start out with them, but have purchased them exclusively within the last 5 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts