Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a used band saw from craigslist I'd saw, not looking for anything fancy but not looking for total junk. Wondering what brands to stay away from and what to check when buying one? I'm new to wood working so still learning which this site is pretty darn good for. Anyways on craigslist I've found a pro-tech 9 inch band saw(never heard of them), 10 inch ace band saw, either for $50 or a 10 inch craftsman for $100. Should i keep looking or either of them worth it? With the weather we've had I've been browsing craigslist looking for any and everything since there's nothing else to do.

Random wood price question, being new i don't know prices of wood and saw some African and Honduran Mahogany on craigslist as well and was wondering what do it usually go for? Don't plan on using it until i get better but figured if it was a decent price i could get some and have it when I'm ready. The African was $8.50bf and $10bf for the Honduran.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Personally, Id hold off for a 14" saw. They come up for $150 or so fairly often. I have a 14" and a 9". I rarely drag the 9" saw out of its cubby hole. I just dont have much use for it and it wont do near the work that my 14" saw will do.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That 10 inch craftsman might be worth a look if it's the rikon clone model. I think about getting a smaller one to keep around just for curves and keep the resaw blade on the other one I have. Now if I only had the space that I wished I had.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That 10 inch craftsman might be worth a look if it's the rikon clone model. I think about getting a smaller one to keep around just for curves and keep the resaw blade on the other one I have. Now if I only had the space that I wished I had.
How would i be able to tell or do you know what model number would be the clone?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would avoid craftsman as well as everything that isn`t easily identafiable due to difficulty finding parts. What saw you need depends on what you plan on doing. I wouldn`t recomend anything with more than 2 wheels or wheels smaller than 14". If you plan on resawing its best to have 1 hp, but more is always good. I have a 1 3/4 hp and am looking to go higher. Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Laguna, Powermatic, and Rinkon are all well known and all reccomeneded by many

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would avoid craftsman as well as everything that isn`t easily identafiable due to difficulty finding parts. What saw you need depends on what you plan on doing. I wouldn`t recomend anything with more than 2 wheels or wheels smaller than 14". If you plan on resawing its best to have 1 hp, but more is always good. I have a 1 3/4 hp and am looking to go higher. Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Laguna, Powermatic, and Rinkon are all well known and all reccomeneded by many
Used, those are all good brands. New, Laguna, jet andPM are overpriced relative to performance if purchased new. Unfortunately, many sellers of those products, used, think they should get too close to retail to make them good purchases. I'd echo the 14" size comment, but the right blade and 1 hp will provide a lot of performance from many 14" BSs. As far as c-man saws are concerned, there are a couple of steel frame models
that were made by the same factory that builds rikon BSs. I've sold a couple of 22401 s, which were rebadged rikon 10-320s and were sweet little saws. Sears does sell a 10" that is similarly rebadged and is reportedly not a bad little saw. Also, any copy/clone of older CI deltas is worth a look at between $150&200 .

·
7,222 Posts
Good deal? $50 needs a new blade
View attachment 88032
Not sure of the wheel size, but looks on the small side. Smaller wheels mean more curvature on the blade which can mean more blade breakage over time.

The table looks like soft non-anodized aluminium which will leave black marks on the wood. If you get this saw you would be best to make a plywood table top cover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info I held off on it. I did call this whole sale place near me, they carry mainly craftsman but the sell open box, scratch and dent stuff. They have that model paarker was referring to, $100 "new", might go take a look at it. For some reason the couple tools I want/need are hard to come by used

1 - 12 of 12 Posts