Registered
1,302 Posts
assuming the max cutting height is at least 6", i'd say anything between
$150 and 200 is a good, and fair, deal.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
That looks like a well taken care of Walker Turner! Pretty small
for my taste, but if it suits your style I say go for it!
I dig those old WT's :thumbsup: they have style.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. He said it is about 6.5" cutting height and has a 1/2 horsepower motor.

Any issues with getting parts for these things? Anything I should look at if I go out to see it?

·
where's my table saw?
28,714 Posts
it is what it is...

..... a nice old machine with a minimum HP motor. You can do a lot with it IF you get the right blade and don't expect to cut 6" thick material. If you are a fan of older iron then it's probably a good choice. If you want a real dependable saw that you can get parts for then you should probably pass it by for a newer 14" Rockwell, Grizzly, or Delta. My smallest saw is a Craftsman 10" with a 1/3 HP motor. It cuts nice tight radius in 1" or 2" thick material. They would probably be close in performance. It's a great conversation piece in any shop.

If you should get it, remove the table before you bring it home. If you crack a trunion it will be scrap iron. This was very good advice I got when I bought my 14" Delta at a garage sale.

·
Registered
504 Posts
$200 is a good deal if you are sure this will be the saw you will need. I found my self trying something like this only to find it was considerably under powered for what I needed. If you only plan on making curved cuts in 3/4" thick stock this will do the trick 100%. If you would like to resaw anything over 1 1/2" thick on a regular basis you will need something more powerful. I have just bought the new Leguana 14 twelve and am already considering upgrading from a 1 3/4 hp to a larger motor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still on the fence about this. Prior to seeing this one I was ready to get the 10" craftsman model.

So if you had the choice between the Walker Turner and the 10" craftsman what would you choose?

Also there is a 12" craftsman on craigslist for $200 would that be a better choice? The 12" looks to be in great shape. It is one of the round top models which I think is the model right before the current square top ones.

I would mainly use it for cutting curved pieces and occasionally small re-sawing. It defiantly wouldn't be used to do large re-saw jobs.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The rule of thumb for resawing is atleast 14" wheels, preferably cast iron, and 1 hp motor. I wasted plenty of money on two saws that weren`t up to snuff so I would suggest waiting for a bigger machine. You just have to decide if you will resaw enough for it to be worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts