Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi wood workers. I am about at my wits end with my 14" AMT band saw. I bought it about a year ago and just getting around to needing it for re-sawing. It works fine for scroll work. The blade wanders to the left with the slightest amount of push pressure. I've tried everything I can think of. Urethane tires, new blade, upgraded to roller bearings vice cooling blocks. squared the table and adjusted tension. I haven't Co-aligned the wheels and as far as I know they are still factory set. I Followed Carter tools, Alex Snodgrass's instructions to a tee. Met him in person at the Baltimore wood show and watched his video. The blade still wanders. I've done the table to blade squaring procedure and it's right on. I would appreciate anyone who might have an idea I haven't tried yet. :huh:

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
What is the "new" blade?

A blade with less teeth is best, like 3 TPI. If your's is 6 TPI that's probably the issue although it will work on stock that's 1 1/2" or less.

The next issue is blade tension and tracking position. If you followed the Snodgrass Viseo then you have the gullets on the wheel centerline. Then the tension is measured by tapping the blade in the fully raised position for a movement of 1/4" or so. I tension mine using the sound of the blade which I am familiar with on my saws.

There is not much else to consider. You may have a bad "new" blade as well if all else fails. The quality of blades is important. I use Timberwolf 1/2" X 3 TPI for resawing and I also weld my own from Starrett and Lenox bulk stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts