Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of investing in a band saw. Need one to rough out my wood carving projects. It will be used mainly for small stock basswood, 1"x12"x12" or 2-3"x6" blocks. Any suggestions on brand or size? I don't have a lot of floor space in my shop so I'm interested in portable, bench top models that can be stored when not in use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on a 9-10 inch? Looking at a Jet, Skil or Rockwell. Any thoughts on those brands? I haven't used a band saw since high school thirty years ago! LOL

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The rikon/craftsman models seem to get decent reviews for smaller models.

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
Any thoughts on a 9-10 inch? Looking at a Jet, Skil or Rockwell. Any thoughts on those brands? I haven't used a band saw since high school thirty years ago! LOL
Basswood is going to cut like nothing. Any bandsaw would do the job for you if there is enough yoke space. There is a factory reconditioned 9" Skill on ebay right now for just under a hundred bucks including shipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to cut the 12-inch blanks with a 9" or 10" saw. It seems that usually the maximum width of cut on a 9" saw is somewhere around 9-1/8" and about 9-5/8" for a 10" saw, but if you rough cut the board width on the table saw, you'll at least be able to trim down the boards on those small band saws.
Other than that limitation, I think if you're going to buy new, the Rikon 10" or Craftsman clone would probably be a good buy. Scheppach also has a 10" for a little less money that looks almost identical to the Rikon except it had a standard miter slot in the table instead of a T-slot like the Rikon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll basically be using the band saw to trim off the excess around a pattern. While the board will be 1"x12"x12", I'll usually only be cutting 1-3 inches in from the edge. Mainly trimming off the excess around the edges. Guess I could have made that a little clearer. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the Craftsman21419 9" bandsaw at my local hardware store. And got it for $20 cheaper than at Sears. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come with one. 2.5hp. 2400+rpm. Think it will work well for what I need. The only problem being, I have to get home from work and mow the yard this evening, change out a a/c window unit at my mom's tomorrow and my brother and his family are coming in for a visit as well, so I won't even get a chance to take it out of the box until next week. :sobbing:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next question. A musical one at that... When I tension the blade and do that thumb test where I thump the blade, what key am I supposed to hear? lol

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
Next question. A musical one at that... When I tension the blade and do that thumb test where I thump the blade, what key am I supposed to hear? lol
The Sound Of Music...? Nope. That's a nice little saw, I have one. If you thump/pluck the blade as you tighten the tension knob you will hear it rising in pitch as you go. It should be higher than a the low string on a bass, maybe the next higher string. I'll run a test and get to Ya..... :whistling2:

Between F and G on my tuner.

Reactions: MmudKatD2
1 - 15 of 15 Posts