Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Not sure of a price, but I paid $165 for mine used. It had a broken trunion and the table was off, so after $35 for parts, I was in for $200. I think mine was a little newer, not sure if that is a good thing though. It did have the mobile base with it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well looks like it isn't going to matter.....the guy won't let me look at it until friday after the other 2 guys are going to......so likely by then it will be gone.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So why is it that some delta 14 inch band saws go for 200....and some go for 500 used? Whats the difference?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think one that is broke like Paul's is going to go for less. I know I would not pay $500- I paid $800 for my 20" 1951 rockwell. haunt craigslist and use searchtempest to watch a larger area. also -what part of country are you in- IRS equipment auction is another spot to look. Also gov. auctions-schools ETC.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So why is it that some delta 14 inch band saws go for 200....and some go for 500 used? Whats the difference?
If you really want to sell you set a reasonable price. I think the high end sellers are just hoping a sucker will bite. I paid $75.00 for mine w/o motor or stand which I already had.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Some people selling don't know what it is worth. Others are just dreaming. I recently bought a 1982 Delta 14, with riser, for the advertised price of $65.
Took the riser out, to put in my 1951 saw, and sold the 1982 saw for $300.

I agree with the buyers friend, who seemed to know a bit about band saws. He said $300 wasn't a great price, but well worth it. It was a real clean smooth running saw.

Buyer was happy
Seller was happy
My 1951 bs was happy
Everyones, happy happy happy!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the horse power of the saw. Seems like the price would depend heavily on that.

I don't know much about Delta saws, Ive seen a few that were 1/2 or 3/4 hp. Are they all the same?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not partial to any particular brand, I have a steel city built tablesaw and have been happy with that. I currently have a 10 inch Homecraft bandsaw, but it's a good deal popped up one of these days I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 14 inch. I rarely use a bandsaw, so I don't see the benefit in purchasing a new one if I can find a good used one for the right price. I just wasn't sure if there were different versions of the deltas that were worth twice as much...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'd be leery buying anything Delta with the fiasco that has become getting repair parts. And this is from a guy, me, who has bought a used, broken, Delta 14 BS. A used Delta 8" jointer, that need parts and I my old chop saw is a Delta. I was lucky and able to find what I needed after searching and waiting, but it is getting harder every day. Not sure if I would buy anything Delta now unless it was in really good shape or there were plenty of used parts around.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd be leery buying anything Delta with the fiasco that has become getting repair parts. And this is from a guy, me, who has bought a used, broken, Delta 14 BS. A used Delta 8" jointer, that need parts and I my old chop saw is a Delta. I was lucky and able to find what I needed after searching and waiting, but it is getting harder every day. Not sure if I would buy anything Delta now unless it was in really good shape or there were plenty of used parts around.
I agree 100 per cent. Also, I own a Delta Unisaw, delta BS, delta jointer, delta planer, delta drum sander, delta wood lathe and a delta drill press!

·
Registered
902 Posts
New delta 14" saws are priced over thousand bucks. But most used saws I've seen were priced from $30 (needs retrofitting) - $500 (mint condition).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts