Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Nope....stay away. the wheels on band saws like that are really small....and are hard on blades.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You want a band saw that looks more vertical.....two large wheels rather than 3 or 4 small ones.....

·
Registered
504 Posts
It really depends on what you plan on using it for. If your only cutting curves 1/4" to 1/2" thick stock and nothing else that would do fine. If you plan on doing any resawing at all you will need a minimum of 14" wheels and a 1hp motor. In band saws most of your cutting force does not come from the motor but the momentum of the wheels. So you will want the largest heaviest wheels you can get. I went from a 9" with aluminum wheels to a 14" with aluminum wheels and finally got sick of it and got a 14" with cast iron wheels and it makes all the difference. This is why the more expensive bandsaws have breaks. I've heard of bigger machines that will spin for close to a half hour after you turn off the power.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's true to a point that the momentum will carry some power, but for continuous resawing once that energy is dissipated, fairly quickly you'll need that motor to be strong enough to power through. Either way, the design of that band saw will be tough on blades.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's the combination of the smaller wheels with smaller motor on the 9 and 10" bench top models that causes most of the frustration with them? I keep thinking to myself that I don't need to do any resawing but then I think I am still new and who knows where I will be in a year and kicking myself for getting a smaller model. Bigger doesn't seem to always mean better with power tools but everything I have been researching says that the bandsaw is the exception.

I would love to stay in the $200 range but I haven't found anything of decent size close to that number on CL or eBay over the last couple of months.

Is my budget too low?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Not at all. I've got a 10 inch home craft band saw that I paid 40 bucks for...small saws are fine, just not small saws with more than two wheels.

Keep an eye open for craftsman 12 inch band saws. They pop up fairly often and are pretty cheap for what you get

·
Registered
504 Posts
Its difficult to say what your budget should be. I was in your exact same situation when I first purchased a bandsaw. I walked into woodcraft with $400, I spoke to a salesman who told me what I needed was a 14" and pointed to a $1,200 rinkon. I told him I couldn't justify spending that much on it and left with a $375 9" 1/3 hp Jet. At first I was happy with the jet and it seemed to preform better than he had let on but it wasn't long before I started to realize it's shortcomings. I wasn't even to the level of resawing, just ripping 2x4s and it would bog down. Learning that I purchased a craigs list 14" 1/2 hp for $100. Trouble with it was the previous owner saw fit to remove all the brand identifying decals making spare parts a no go. After spending hundreds more to get it to work but still not work well I got fed up and got a good one. I will point out that I don't have a table saw. I went for the nice Laguna with the understanding that it would be my table saw, but also handle resawing and curved cuts. I use mostly reclaimed lumber and rough cut stuff from some guy out in the woods with a portable saw mill so I resaw more than anything else... but thats just me. If you have a nice table saw and use mostly precut stock a 14" 1/2 to 1 hp would probably do you fine.

If cost is your biggest worry keep an eye on craigs list. It may take a while to find a good one and you will probably have to travel to get it. From my experience the biggest thing to consider when buying a used one is be 100% sure you can easily find parts because you will have to buy something. There are aftermarket parts from companies like Carter Products but a few parts will cost more than any 2nd hand saw.

Another thing to consider is having more than one saw. Changing blades is annoying even with quick release. My numerous missteps have left me with a 1/2 hp 14" that I'd like to equip with a 1/4" blade and use for curved cuts on thin stock and leave my 3/4" 3 tpi blade in my beefy Laguna for resawing and working thick stock. That being said this band saw trouble has caused me to ask one question when I buy any tool... "will this be the last one of this tool I will ever need" if its "no" I don't buy it becuase you will spend more buying any two machines than any one.

as far as craftsman goes, I have never worked with one but have heard they are bad about just not making parts for older machines, and they are not known for having parts available through 3rd party venders.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not at all. I've got a 10 inch home craft band saw that I paid 40 bucks for...small saws are fine, just not small saws with more than two wheels.

Keep an eye open for craftsman 12 inch band saws. They pop up fairly often and are pretty cheap for what you get
What kind of work are you doing on the 10" and have you hit any walls with it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its difficult to say what your budget should be. I was in your exact same situation when I first purchased a bandsaw. I walked into woodcraft with $400, I spoke to a salesman who told me what I needed was a 14" and pointed to a $1,200 rinkon. I told him I couldn't justify spending that much on it and left with a $375 9" 1/3 hp Jet. At first I was happy with the jet and it seemed to preform better than he had let on but it wasn't long before I started to realize it's shortcomings. I wasn't even to the level of resawing, just ripping 2x4s and it would bog down. Learning that I purchased a craigs list 14" 1/2 hp for $100. Trouble with it was the previous owner saw fit to remove all the brand identifying decals making spare parts a no go. After spending hundreds more to get it to work but still not work well I got fed up and got a good one. I will point out that I don't have a table saw. I went for the nice Laguna with the understanding that it would be my table saw, but also handle resawing and curved cuts. I use mostly reclaimed lumber and rough cut stuff from some guy out in the woods with a portable saw mill so I resaw more than anything else... but thats just me. If you have a nice table saw and use mostly precut stock a 14" 1/2 to 1 hp would probably do you fine.

If cost is your biggest worry keep an eye on craigs list. It may take a while to find a good one and you will probably have to travel to get it. From my experience the biggest thing to consider when buying a used one is be 100% sure you can easily find parts because you will have to buy something. There are aftermarket parts from companies like Carter Products but a few parts will cost more than any 2nd hand saw.

Another thing to consider is having more than one saw. Changing blades is annoying even with quick release. My numerous missteps have left me with a 1/2 hp 14" that I'd like to equip with a 1/4" blade and use for curved cuts on thin stock and leave my 3/4" 3 tpi blade in my beefy Laguna for resawing and working thick stock. That being said this band saw trouble has caused me to ask one question when I buy any tool... "will this be the last one of this tool I will ever need" if its "no" I don't buy it becuase you will spend more buying any two machines than any one.

as far as craftsman goes, I have never worked with one but have heard they are bad about just not making parts for older machines, and they are not known for having parts available through 3rd party venders.
Funny thing is I was thinking do I get a smaller saw for now and eventually get a bigger one down the line when I come across a good deal and my skills/requirements increase. It seems like the more projects I research and want to do the more tools they "seem" to require. I am sure I could get away with a combination of a circular saw, jig saw, router for most cuts but then it just increases the amount of work and opportunity to screw something up lol.

I could imagine not having a TS and having to change blades out on BS could get tiresome very quickly. Also I love that you were referred to the $1200 model right off the bat.

Thanks for sharing your experience it's been very helpful!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No much at all honestly. It's currently collecting dust. Much of my work is mission styled furniture, for which I have no use for a band saw.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Funny thing is I was thinking do I get a smaller saw for now and eventually get a bigger one down the line when I come across a good deal and my skills/requirements increase. It seems like the more projects I research and want to do the more tools they "seem" to require. I am sure I could get away with a combination of a circular saw, jig saw, router for most cuts but then it just increases the amount of work and opportunity to screw something up lol.

I could imagine not having a TS and having to change blades out on BS could get tiresome very quickly. Also I love that you were referred to the $1200 model right off the bat.

Thanks for sharing your experience it's been very helpful!
There is always a new tool to get. Yes you can get by with a minimal equipment but its far from easy to get the same results with a circ saw and a jig saw that you would be getting with a miter saw, tables saw, and band saw. Especially if your building furniture where 1/100" difference can be noticed easily. There's a happy medium between minimalism and excess and its highly dependent on what each woodworker is looking to do. In my experience there's little use in buying a small cheap tool for now... because as soon as I finish with that project I want to progress to something that requires more.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's an ok saw....but I've seen them for 100 in really good shape....so it seems a bit high.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
2 questions...

1. Do you need a band saw right now?

2. What's your max budget?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts