Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I resaw I like to use my band saw. One of my problems I have is I like the looks of old barn lumber for some of the picture frames or projects make. I find to resaw you need a good sharp blade. I have found when cutting used lumber no matter how hard I look at it for some reason or other a peace of metal will be inside it which I don't know about. Now my sharp and new bandsaw blade is junk. My question is what would be a way to get around this. Do they make a special blade for this like a saws-all blade? What do others use on old lumber?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A metal cutting blade would be painfully slow ripping wood. There are carbide tipped resaw blades - maybe they would survive an occaisonal nail?

I suggest getting a metal detector and scanning your boards before sawing.

edit: Hammer beat me to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do quite a bit of reclaimed lumber and the biggest problem isn't metal. It's grit. Bi metal blades just laugh at nails and other softer metals but the trapped grit in the wood just kills any blade.
Having said that I have tried using a Lennox diemaster 2, which is a bimetal blade. It only lasted slightly longer than a cheap carbon blade when resawing old dirty wood. I have also used a palletmaster bi metal blade used for cutting up pallet material, but sadly same story.
My carbide blades would probably solve this but trashing a $120-$240 blades isn't my idea of a good time.
What is my solution? Since I can get a 1 1/2 inch blade on my saw. I just buy boxes of 1 1/4 inch band mill blades.
Since I don't know what size saw you have, I guess I can only make a general recommendation. Buy lots of the most reasonable 4 or less tpi carbon blades and change them out. Clean your wood as best as you can without losing the look of the wood.
Skip the Woodslicer, kerfmaster, Timberwolf type blades they will die a painfully expensive death.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts