Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just ordered a Grizzly 14" Ultimate Band Saw and the 6" riser kit. I want to do some resawing but don't know what blade to buy. I have heard that Timberwolf blades are good. Any other recommendations? Also, what blade width, tooth style, tpi? Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
If you are shopping at Grizzly, type in "resaw" in their product search bar. They offer several. I would go with a thicker blade for stability, they seem to be 3-4 tpi. I am not knocking Grizzly...but I have seen resaw blades alot cheaper ;). Google search "resaw blade", I did that and found some good looking ones for 1/2 the price (and they look to be the same blade)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daren,

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had good results with Timberwolf blades. Buy them direct from www.suffolkmachinery.com at half the cost of Woodcrafter's prices. I use a 1/2 inch 3tpi blade for resawing and a 3/8 inch 4tpi, slightly thicker blade for sawing green turning blanks. They have all sizes available, but I don't see as much difference between theirs and other brands on the 1/4 inch blades. Keep your tires clean and coat the blades with Pam or other rapeseed cooking oil frequently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ken:

I got the Grizzly 14" for XMAS - what a great saw! The blade that comes with it is terrible - I got a 3/4" Olson at Woodcraft for resawing and a 1/2" Timberwolf ordered from Grizzly for general work. I'll probably get a 1/4" blade soon for tight work - probably a Timberwolf as well.

I put the Olson in and it cuts like a hot knife thru butter!

Check out my blog at www.affyx.com for a (fairly crappy) video of me putting the Grizzly together...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts