Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a lot of time reading on here about BS blades for resawing, boxes, etc. (great info I might add). I currently have 2 band saws: Craftsman 10" & a Grizzly 14". I am going to order me a Timberwolf 3/16 4TPI blade for use on my 10" BS for boxes & tight turns. I also have the Carter Stabilizer on order for this BS as well.

My dilemma is what blade to order for the Grizzly. While I have the riser block on it, I don't see me doing much resawing at all. Also, if I do, I only have a 6" jointer at the moment so I'm kinda limited to 6" resawing anyways. (I do have a 12" drum sander so I could do wider if I had an occasional need, though that's not what the DS is intended for.) Most of my use will be rough cutting with the some precision cutting. And mostly 3/4 to 8/4 range.

I've been looking at the Timberwolf site and I'm not sure which TPI I should use for GP use. So, if you were getting a blade with my uses in mind, which width blade & what TPI would you get? I'm leaning towards the 1/2" 8TPI.

Mark

·
7,222 Posts
I like the Timberwolf blades. Good value for the price. There are other good blade manufacturers but I have stuck with Timberwolf.

When I first started to use my bandsaw I thought more teeth per inch would be better.

These days I like fewer tpi. I am not expecting a bandsaw cut to be a "finish" cut.

Fewer tpi cut easier and faster.

I presently have a 3/8in x 6 tpi blade on my 17in Grizzly bandsaw. It is cutting fine.

I did like the way the 1/2in x 4 tpi blade cut - before I bent the blade. :huh:

For my future orders I am going with 3 or 4 tpi. Not sure of 3/8in vs 1/2in. For cutting log blanks, I may be better with 1/2in.

·
where's my table saw?
28,698 Posts
I'm with Dave here

A 6 TPI in 3/8" wide is what I use for most general cuts, no real tight turns. The other identical 14" Craftsman saw has a 3TPI 1/2" blade for resawing. I would NOT get an 1/2" 8 TPI blade.

My little Craftsman 10" has a 3/8" 6 TPI also or a 1/4" 8 TPI depending. I use it like a hobby saw since it was originally intended for my son who wants nothing to do with woodworking now days.
I don't know how the Carter stabilizer will work on the small saw. Maybe you will post your results here?

I just made some half laps in 3" wide quarter sawn white Oak for a friend using the 1/2" to rip down the length and the 3/8" to cross cut the shoulders. It was "perfection" and the halves fit together perfectly after some practice runs and fine tuning the fence. Why 2 identical saws? ... because one was really cheap on Craig's List and was in perfect condition. I hate changing blades!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for coming to my information rescue Dave:thumbsup: Your comments regarding TPI make sense, and mimic some things I have read/heard.

I presently have a 3/8in x 6 tpi blade on my 17in Grizzly bandsaw. It is cutting fine.

I did like the way the 1/2in x 4 tpi blade cut - before I bent the blade. :huh:

For my future orders I am going with 3 or 4 tpi. Not sure of 3/8in vs 1/2in. For cutting log blanks, I may be better with 1/2in.
Since I am not looking for finish quality cuts, I may stick with the 3-4 TPI. I was originally thinking 3/4" or 5/8". When I bought my riser block, it came with a Grizzly 105" 3/8" 6 TPI blade. But since I am ordering a 3/16" blade for my smaller BS for I thought I'd go ahead and get another for the Grizzly at the same time. I think I'll hold off on the Grizzly BS blade since I can get most of the 105" Timberwolf blades at the local Grizzly store. They are about $2 more each blade, but that's cheaper than shipping.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 6 TPI in 3/8" wide is what I use for most general cuts, no real tight turns. The other identical 14" Craftsman saw has a 3TPI 1/2" blade for resawing. I would NOT get an 1/2" 8 TPI blade.
It seems you were replying to me as I was to Dave and ordering my blade. Your echoed comments are welcome!! I ended up just ordering the Timberwolf 3/16" 4TPI which I will put on my Craftsman 10" BS. The blade & Stabilizer shoul dbe here about the same time.

I don't know how the Carter stabilizer will work on the small saw. Maybe you will post your results here?
I'd be glad to do so. Its about time I earn my keep around here. My plan this Christmas was a handful of BS boxes, which is one reason for getting the Carter Stabilizer. I may use the bigger BS to cut the front/rears off, and the smaller BS for the cutouts.

Why 2 identical saws? ... because one was really cheap on Craig's List and was in perfect condition. I hate changing blades!
If I ever get an actual shop, I can see a 3rd BS in my future. I'd like a 17" for resawing and possibly cutting larger bowl blanks if I ever get a bigger lathe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts