Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three questions:

1. Search as I might, cannot find what band saw blade width is. Back to tip of tooth, or back to bottom of gullet? My guess is the latter, but want to make sure.

2. On YouTube have seen two references to "low tension" band saw blades. Searched for that also with no joy. What defines them?

3. Also, how important is it to dress the back of the blade?

As you can see, I'm new at band saw equipment and use, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

CW

·
Senior Something
1,127 Posts
I had to go measure one of mine. It looks like it's 'Tip of Tooth' to 'Back' of blade. I've never heard of dressing the back of the blade, but then that could just be me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't have a band saw yet but I have dressed the back side of a scroll saw blade with a honing stone and it allows the wood to feed smoother through the blade when cutting curves since you are rounding over the corners and no sharp edges to drag on the wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djg and dirty-curty; thanks guys. I had guessed wrongly on the tooth count, a 1/4, not 3/16 on the saw. D-C, that fits as I have seen a dressing stone advertised for band saw blades. No sharp curves in plans, so it can wait.
CW

·
Registered
902 Posts
1. it's back to tip of the tooth.
2. I am not sure with this, but I think the low tension blades are carbon steel blades - they normally requires 15,000 psi to 20,000 psi unlike bi metal or carbide tipped blades, manufacturers recommend much higher tension ,25,000 psi to 30,00 psi.
3. Dressing back of band saw blade is new to my ears. I haven't tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.