Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Jet 18" bandsaw and put on a new Olson 1.25" resaw blade. I followed the Alex Snodgrass video to a tee to set up the blade and guides. However, when running this big blade, I can easily see the blade jump forward (into the cut) and then back with every revolution of the wheels.

The blade weld looks clean, and the wheels appear to be running true, so I'm not sure what would cause the blade to jump around like that.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
where's my table saw?
31,296 Posts
jumpin' blades...

Usually, almost always, probably, without exception, a bad weld. :thumbdown:
I've not heard much, if any good about Olson blades. Just return it as defective. That's probably about a $100.00 blade? Give them one more chance then we'll "social media" the crap out of them... tweet, tweet :laughing:
I weld my own blades and you must have each end squared up and parallel to get a straight blade. The slightest bit out of a parallel straight line will result in a blade that "jumps".

I use Timberwolf for my 3/4" blades, but I hear very good things about Supercut:
http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/products.html

Reactions: del schisler

·
Registered
902 Posts
It could be blade is over tensioned or undertensioned. Bearings are worn or loose. Tracking adjustment. Feeding too much. Incorrect blade or missing teeth or wrong TPI . Try a new blade and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. This is the Olson Pro line of blades, and was the only blade my local Woodcraft had when I was there last.

I saw this behavior when the blade was not touching any guide bearings or my workpiece. Blade tracking looked good with the center of the wheel just behind the gullet. I also adjusted tension up ad down with no change. I'll be at Woodcraft tomorrow and see if they have a replacement for me.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Supercut is about 30 miles from me. They have been in biz since the 60's. I have not had a complaint with their blades yet. You might give them a try.

·
where's my table saw?
31,296 Posts
I don't think you need a 1 1/4" resaw blade

Check in at 4:09

If you follow the Snodgrass video the deepest part of the gullets should be in the center of the wheel width. The wheels are only 1 1/2" wide at best. This leaves a whole lot of unsupported blade. I resaw all the time with either 1/2" or 3/4" blades with excellent results on my 18" Mini Max bandsaw.

Further that wide of a blade must be tensioned to the extreme limits on the saw for it to be stiff enough to perform well. I just think you are "overbladed" Minimax recommends a maximum 1" blade width: http://minimax-usa.com/index.php?pa...category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35

I know the Jet specs say maximum blade width is 1 1/2", but that does not seem practical: http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-7107...am=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=320&zmap=jetn710750b

You might can a tech service rep and see what they have to say.

Reactions: del schisler

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that it is a lot of blade, and will get a smaller one in the future. The other problem I ran into is that as I moved the gullet to the center of the wheel there was barely any clearance between the back of the blade and the back of the cabinet. In fact, as my blade jumped a little, the back of the blade scraped against the wheel bracket.

After I took the blade off, I could definitely feel a bump on the inside of the weld. I'm taking it back today and I'll see if they have a 3/4 Timberwolf in stock.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to band sawing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Was at woodcraft today and swapped the Olson for a 3/4 Timberwolf 3tpi blade. I'm excited to get that mounted and do some resawing. I also picked up the Carter magnetic resaw fence. I've been looking for a resaw fence for awhile and there was a great sale today.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So much better with the new blade. The cut was surprisingly smooth. I could have sanded down the saw marks pretty easily. I don't mind at all paying a little more for a nice blade.

The blade still moves a little with each revolution if the wheels. Its not enough to stop me from using it. Do the wheels ever get unbalanced? I picked up a used older Jet 18" BS. Maybe some new tires and a good cleaning will straighten it out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So much better with the new blade. The cut was surprisingly smooth. I could have sanded down the saw marks pretty easily. I don't mind at all paying a little more for a nice blade.

The blade still moves a little with each revolution if the wheels. Its not enough to stop me from using it. Do the wheels ever get unbalanced? I picked up a used older Jet 18" BS. Maybe some new tires and a good cleaning will straighten it out.
If the thing sat a long time with the blade at full tension, yeah. You might have a flat spot on the tires allowing a little jump. They're cheap enough. I use the red ones on eBoy.
I make the local meatheads bring the saws here since they are sure the"internet" means Farcebook. They try and try and cant get the tyres on. They leave. I put the tyres on to cook and snap ! Sometimes I call them to pick it up when they're only 1/4 mile away. It's a miracle ! How did you do it ??? :yes::blink:
They pull my worker to the side and ask about my "special tool".
He tells them it's Karate. He puts them on in three seconds with 2 screwdrivers.:laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.