Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 14" band saw last weekend. Its probably a central machinery but still haven't been able to find my exact saw anywhere. I bought a 93 1/2 inch blade yesterday and its too long. Since 93 1/2 inch is the standard I will be able to find from now on I thought about adding a wooden spacer between the upper and lower sections of the band saw. Has anyone ever done this or know of any reason why it wouldn't work?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is the blade "just" to long? I have an older Grizzly G0555 that was set up at the factory for a 92 1/2 inch blade. However it was designed with sufficient adjustment to also use a standard 93 1/2 inch blade. I readjusted it, with help from Grizzly tech support for the 93 1/2 blade and that is all I buy now. All of the adjustments were done on the mechanism that is used to tighten the tension on the top wheel.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Either get the blade to fit within the adjustment range of the saw, or do as Dave said. It will be less bother in the end. If you get a correct length for the blade, you may be able to get a local shop to shorten the one you have.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you own a three-wheeled band saw? In your assumptions, what is the length difference? Is it that long? I was thinking maybe 92 1/2 inch blade would fit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No its a regular two wheeled bs. The 93 1/2" blade is just slightly too large. If I tighten the tension knob as far as it will go the blade is still lose. I ended up cutting a piece of pine about 3/4" thick, and putting it between the upper and lower bs assemblies... the blade now fits, there were some issues with the left blade guard but those were easily fixed. Next step is to wait for my right blade guard and my new blade guide assembly to see what the next issue will be.

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts
a 3/4"spacer takes up 1 1/2" of blade length

It's an easy and cheap fix it it works for you. You just have to keep the wheels in the same orientation as original. If I'm not mistaken there is a guide pin(s) that locates the two units correctly. :blink:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires are cheap black rubber, not the nice blue or orange polyurethane ones I've seen but they're still flexible and seat fine. I measured the cast aluminum wheels and they are slightly under 14", about 13 3/4". The more I look as this the stranger it gets, the guide bracket I bought doesn't center the guides over the blade, and is meant for a 3/4" round post and not the 7/8" hexagonal post that is on it (but probably wasn't sold with it). I just ordered an offset guide post from carter products. Starts at 7/8" has a 1/2" offset then changes to a 3/4" diameter. With that $40 addition I should have this thing working by this weekend. After all is said and done $100 for the saw, $20 for the guide assembly and blade guard, and $40 for the new post. So I'm still at $160 for a 14"(ish) band saw which isn't bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts