Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 3'x5' desk out of 1" thick end-cut bamboo plywood from Smith and Fong and some adjustable legs from IKEA. Should I add some structure to the bottom to keep it from sagging, or should it be okay at that size without sagging?

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
I am not experienced with the 1" bamboo ply, but as ply goes, 1" is pretty thick. I would be surprised if it sagged, but it would never hurt to give it a little more support.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've never heard of bamboo ply - interesting... but as Chris stated, 1 inch is thick ply... but if you're going to put stacks of books and desktop computer with a big monitor... well now you're stressing that ply and it wouldn't hurt to add a skirt and maybe even a cross member or 2 on the underside if your design can accommodate the extras. Rule of thumb is "don't skimp and be sorry - overbuild and never be sorry" :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It's incredibly heavy, that's for sure. Hopefully strong too. I won't be keeping anything too heavy on it, no. Just my laptop, keyboard, mouse, and an LCD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts