Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience working with Bamboo ply or sheet bamboo for furniture.

How is it to work with, is one brand better then another? Also the thickest I can find it is 3/4. Does anyone know of any places that make it at greater thickness? Specifically 8/4?

Thanks

-Pete

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We built several bookcases with bamboo ply for the owner of Coca Cola. Watchout for splinters, when you route it make sure you run your first pass with the rotation of the bit or it will splinter off in damaging pieces.
Have not heard of any thicker than 3/4". But you never know what you might find online. Be prepared to pay dearly for it though. The plywood sheets we purchased were quite expensive.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The bamboo plywood I'm familiar with is a smooth face fabrication, sometimes on a blockboard core. It's tricky to work without having it splinter and tear. The thickest I've seen is 7/8". To attain an 8/4 sheet and keep it within the national budget you may want to make your own and use 3/16" on one or both sides, just to keep the cost down. What is the application that you would need 8/4 for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking to use it for a dresser. I happen to like the look of thicker wood, and also the look of bamboo so its a nice fit for me. Plus, the I would most likely use vertical grain (not actual ply) with mitred edges so that I would have no visible lamination.

I just finished my first project with walnut and the glue-up took up more then half the time. Getting bamboo in sheet would be a great help to speeding up the process.

Thanks for the replys!!

-Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts