Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning on building a sander to to remove the outer layer of Tonkin bamboo and shape it down to a prescribed circular diameter (14mm maximum) and need some on advice on the type of motor I should use.

I plan on having two motors (running opposite directions) with two aluminium 2" x 2" cylinders attached two them with 40 - 80 grit sand paper belts. I will build a frame to house these motors and a mechanism to move the two motors apart installing a Calliper to get precise measurements (like on a workbench). I will then attach the bamboo to a slow rotating power drill and move it in and out of the two rotating cylinders using a guide on the entry and exit to provide stability to the bamboo.

I am a fairly experienced bamboo worker and will heat straighten the bamboo before passing it through this machine. For the past 5 years I have sanded these canes down on a bench / belt sander, but now I am looking for something with a little more precision.

I am basically worried that I will pick a motor that doesn't have enough power i.e. when I move the bamboo in and out the cylinders will stop turning. I have been reading various websites and think that I roughly require a 240V (I am in the UK) Single Phase Motor with 250 - 300 Watts, and I'm not sure about the RPM or Amps required. I would ideally like an Induction motor as I believe they are quieter but I think they are more expensive than an Universal motor. I realise that I could use power drills but I'm looking for something that I can leave permanently set up. I was also thinking about adding a speed control to the motor wiring.

I am a complete novice when it comes to motors so any advice on the type of motor or how to wire them up to a UK power supply would be great!

·
7,222 Posts
Hi,
I have been reading various websites and think that I roughly require a 240V (I am in the UK) Single Phase Motor with 250 - 300 Watts, and I'm not sure about the RPM or Amps required. I would ideally like an Induction motor as I believe they are quieter but I think they are more expensive than an Universal motor. I realise that I could use power drills but I'm looking for something that I can leave permanently set up. I was also thinking about adding a speed control to the motor wiring.

I am a complete novice when it comes to motors so any advice on the type of motor or how to wire them up to a UK power supply would be great!
Sound like an interesting project. An induction motor would be my choice.

250 - 300 Watts is about 1/3 HP. Should be enough if the cylinders are only 2in x 2in which limits the amount of surface area and hence the energy needed.

This size of motor is readily available in the US. I do not know sources in the UK, but you should be able to find a motor.

Motors are typically purchased according to Power, Voltage and RPM. Technically also by number of phases, but you are looking for a single phase.

Power = Volt x Amps. Hence the Amps will be "derived" based on the power and efficiency of the motor.

In the US a typical motor RPM is 1750. UK being 50 Hz power the RPM will be less, perhaps 1500 rpm.

You should plan to have pulleys on the motor and the cylinder. This is for speed reduction. Smaller diameter pulley on the motor, bigger diameter pulley on the cylinder which means the cylinder will run slower. You need to either decide or experiment with the required speed.

I have no experience sanding bamboo. Faster speed means more heat. Some woods have resins and heat would result in gumming up the abrasive.

I know bamboo is a grass not a wood.

If you do not know the speed, I would start slow, e.g., 500 rpm and increase if needed.

More information on A.C. motor types in this thread.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/psa-information-ac-motors-48497/

I prefer TEFC. A bit more expensive, but no dust should get inside the rotor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your comments. The information you have given me is great, but out of interest if you where going to do a internet search what do you reckon I should be using as key words? Also, can you explain to me why I should fit pulleys, instead of having the motor directly plugged into the cylinders and lastly do you know the difference between single and three phase motors? As I said in my first post I have been sanding the cane on a bench sander which is typically about 1450rpm turning the bamboo slowly by hand, working up from an 80 grit paper to 180 and then 240 / 400 by hand produces a great solid finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.