Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of buying a big old house in town. It's bank owned and they're asking about half of what its worth (but I would be buying to live in for good, so relative value doesn't really matter to me as long as I can afford it). There would need to be thorough inspection, etc. before pulling the trigger on this but one of the known issues is that the prior owners got as far as gutting several of the bathrooms before the ran out of money. So those would have to be done right off the bat. I assume I couldn't get a CO without having them done.

My question is, in Connecticut, what would be a ballpark cost for finishing a full bathroom? I'm talking having professionals do it. I don't have the time or inclination to screw up a new house, and live with all of my mistakes for years.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Figure out what you want and get estimates. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figure out what you want and get estimates. :)
Hard to do that for a house I don't own. This idea is about two steps removed from reality and one short of pipe dream.

Right now the bathrooms are studs, slats and hookups. I'm curious as to a very rough figure to get them to useable. I don't know if I'm talking 5k, 15k or something else. i figure someone on here knows about this enough to give a range of possible costs (which i assume would be a wide range).

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Your question is too broad without much more specific detail. Tell us what you want to do. Material, room dimensions, how many of what, Just anything you can thing about.

George

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this helpful?

right now the images below are what one looks like gutted and what one looks like done. I'd be curious if anyone could hazard a guess as to what the pictured done one would cost. Is this helpful?

Thanks.

ISp9004eshghh50000000000.jpg

IS9xvb31k10nh50000000000.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would say and this is just a guess but $20,000 seems about right to me.

Reactions: railaw

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
I would say and this is just a guess but $20,000 seems about right to me.
Are you serious?

I do not see much there. Very hard to tell the dimensions. Nothing said about what materials or grades of materials used. Only a very small vanity. No sign of a commode. Looks like a small bathroom.

If I was guessing I would not go over $5,000. But that would be a complete guess as virtually no information has been given by the original poster.

Last year I had a 12'x24' addition to my garage and that was only $21,000. There was a lot involved there.

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
15 to 20 grand doesn't seem out of the realm for that level of finish. The plumbing and electrical are a few grand. The tile work is probably 5-6 bucks a foot for labor, plus 3-5 bucks a foot for materials. Fixtures, a vanity....it all ads up. Now I did a remodel similar to that and have about 2500 in it, but the labor was ALL me. I built a 900 dollar vanity for 150 bucks....I did the plumbing...tile...ect.

Keep in mind very different costs for DIY and pro work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love o give more info but don't have any. I've never done or even been around a remodel so don't have a basis for thinking about these. Since the demo work is done I wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm trying to take a very preliminary guess as to whether this house is worth pursuing based on a rough guess of post acquisition cost.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Only done one job in Connecticut.Big honkinazz in-law suite....which effectively dbld the size of the house.....so only have that experience in the state.

$20k would be my ballpark guess as well.

Do yourself a favor....go buy the Tom Hanks movie,"Money Pit".Watch it over and over.........you need to get to where,when watching....it's no longer funny.Once it sort of etches your brain....you're about halfway on the mountain climb to "Self-actualization",and how it pertains to old houses/buildings.And the grade only gets steeper the further up you get.

Theres,more than likely...only a VERY small handfull of builders in your area who could break even on this project.Kinda like a bunch of brainiacs having a physics discussion.You can make compelling arguments to and fro.......but until it comes to fruition,who's gonna win the argument?

So,I can(as a professional)make some very good arguments for why you are barking up the wrong tree.BUT,that don't make it necessarily so.

Just a hint,"red tape" is usually the deal breaker.......it ain't the work.Best of luck with your decision.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The demo isn't the big cost. It will likely eliminate any of the surprises that could run the price up after the fact, but still the main cost will be in the quality of bathroom you're looking to achieve. Paying someone to do it, you definitely shouldn't expect 5k area. Like others said, plumbers and electricians will charge you a good bit of the expense and tile work isn't cheap either. So if you have a lot of tile work to be done it wont be cheap. Multiple vanities, separate tub and shower, enclosed toilet room, etc....the cost will go up. You could probably figure out the materials list your self. Do you want a $400 vanity or a $2600, do you want a regular fiberglass tub, or a big fancy jetted tub? I redid both my bathrooms and in the master I probably spent $5000 on materials.

I would first figure out how nice you want it to be and start adding up materials, that will at least give you a minimum cost. I'd say for a basic small bathroom you could be looking at maybe another $5k in labor but if it's bigger with lots of fixtures to connect and tile etc as others have said you could expect up near $20k.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Good grief! The majority of the plumbing is already there. The "finished" bathroom looks like a standard size tub with medium grade tiling and no special fixtures of any kind. It does have a jet tub, so you can add a few hundred extra for that, but the vanity is about $300 in HD. Add a commode (probably in the nook behind the tub in the picture) for another $150-$300 and your full bathroom facilities are what, $1500? Tiling looks like maybe another $1000 in materials. I'd say not more than $8-10K in my neck of the woods, which should be similar to CT if it's in New Haven, or possibly Hartford. That's to have a pro do it. I did mine, similar size (though slightly smaller) and quality of materials (less having to buy a tub) for about $1200, doing it myself.

That said, the unfinished bathroom looks slightly larger, though hard to tell, and my house isn't as old so that may (will) significantly add to the cost.

I'd pass it up unless I was buying it as a second house I could work on at my "leisure" while I lived somewhere else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. This gives me that rough range I was looking for and a way to go about building my own estimate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a follow up, I went and saw the house. It was absolutely gorgeous. I'd post some pictures of the mantles if I'd thought to take some. Down side is the taxes are astronomical and the place does need some work beyond the bathrooms. At 7,000 sq ft., the wife brought me to my senses in that virtually all of our money would go to up keep, heating, furnishing etc. That's not how we want to live. The second story of the carriage house would have made for one heck of a workshop though. Oh well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh well, I'm sure it would have been a great house but don't feel like you lost out. Your wife probably saved you a lot of grief!! I have an 1830s house that's only 2000sqft and it's taken my over 3 years to do the renovation...and still going. There are always surprises with old houses. I think you'll be happier with a house that does NOT become your entire life and budget! Unless that's what you're looking for

1 - 15 of 15 Posts