Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take the challenge and start with the basics, a log from the firewood pile. I cut the log into cookies and then halves to make it fit the bandsaw and under the guides. I ended up with 7" thick sections and removed all but about 5/8" of the center leaving a wall that thick:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

Next, I let the sections dry in the shop and of course they split and checked, so I had to repair them. I used epoxy on the red oak. I also wanted to extend the sides to max out the 18" dimension so I added in a 3" section.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part 3

I made a drawing of my piece to determine the maximum width and to get it as symetrical as possible. Most of this build is going to be "eyeball" and it's like building a ship within a bottle, nothing is flat or straight. A little hand planing on the ouside and a gouge was used to smooth the interior. I needed a 8" tall osscillating sander, but that wasn't available at the time, so I used my 4". My layout drawing had vertical and horizontal line to make the dados for the shelves in the same relative locations.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Part 4

I had to make everything twice because I was making 2 "units".
What is it?, you ask.:blink: It will become obvious later, if you haven't figured it out yet. :laughing:

I sanded the side using a vertical belt sander and an extended table set to 90 degrees.
I made many mistakes and had to cut the braces apart because they weren't quite square or parallel to each other. I hand plane the ends flush with the edges and then sanded with a block to get everything flush.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Part 5

Each divider had to be cut to fit and then epoxied in place. In spite of my best efforts to get things vertical and precise, they were still off a bit and that will be an issue later. The 2 units are coming along nicely.... :eek:
I used the RAS for my crosscuts for the dividers and the drawers.
I used a 1/16" slot cutter on the router table to make the dado for the drawer bottoms. I used the nearly extinct 1/16" Baltic Birch plywood and I', going to find a source for more. Aircraft ply should be easy to locate.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part 6

I had to resaw and sand my own maple for the face and back of each unit.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Part 7

After the face was covered in Maple, I used the vertical belt sander machine/sand off the projections flush with the sides. Next came the making of the drawers. Each drawer was a slightly different size and they all had to be fitted to each separate opening...cut and fit...cut and fit. I used a locking rabbet on the drawer front and back making a dado on the sides and a rabbet on the ends. The table saw blade was set to the proper height and the fence to the proper width giving me a no-brainer rabbet. I just sawed back and forth until I had the material removed.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Part 8

I am thinking I'll use Walnut for the drawer fronts. So I used my 8" Grizzly jointer and milled some planks. then resawed then into 3/8" panels and planed them down.
I used the RAS for all my crosscuts AND a few rips using a squared piece of scrap for a righ angle guide.
The smallest drawer fronts were a bit scary to rabbet, so I used a "backer" to the miter gauge. It really was pretty safe that way.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part 8

The dang drawers!

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Part 9

I glued the backs on and they will need to be sanded flush on the vertical belt sander.

More to come tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: mdntrdr

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part 10

Working on the secret compartments which are on the bottom right and left of the drawer. So far no ingenious method of locking or releasing them..... :blink: they just stay closed, flush with the front surface. They are drilled to accept silver dollars, but rings or other coins will fit also. Say what you want about hot glue, but you'd better not make any mistakes with it even in end grain to long grain. I couldn't pry it apart. :no:
No shame here as the Baileigh catalog box is featured in one of the photos! :laughing:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Part 11

Gave it a coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye clear shellac. Looks good in Oak, and now I have a dilemma. I was going to veneer them in Maple burl, but I got a roll of plain Maple also... leave it Oak....Maple... :blink:

Drawer pulls and drawer faces are next.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Well, Bill, I really like how you framed out these cabinets like you did. That is really nifty, and frankly, quite ingenious. You did a real nice job of documenting it too. I love those little secret drawers as well. What are your plans for this?

I have seen you post in the past about using hot glue with some of your woodworking.... Do you use it to permanently adhere pieces, or just temporary? Is there a specific type of glue you use? That would seem to be a nice little trick to have in the bag! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
sorry Bill, I'm really Mike but you know how many mikes are everywhere, oh along with Franks and Bills? Plus I have sawdust in my eyes, Sorry

·
where's my table saw?
27,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 62 Posts