Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if I got a bad box of screws or if Hillman is selling Chinese junk. I bought a box of 1-1/4" Hillman wood screws for an oak project. I had pre-drilled the holes. Out of 5 screws driven, 3 broke off about 3/8" from the head. The phillips heads stripped out easily, so I returned the box of a refund. I finally found American/German-made screws at Home Depot under the brand name Spax. Now those are real steel! No problems at all.

Another USA manufacturer is Fastenal, and they also make great steel screws.

Carl F. Worden

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had minor issues with hillman screws, specifically the torx head construction ones. Usually no problem, but one day I had a box and it seemed like several didn't have the torx shaped fully so no bit would fit. I maybe threw out 10 screws from the box, not a super big deal but still annoying. Could be a quality control issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've never been satisfied with my options at big box. I still buy stuff from them, but I rather dislike Phillips head screws anyways (maybe I'm a snob). I have had occasional "bad" screws...but I do think that the quality of just about anything is not what it used to be. Big Box stores will buy the cheapest stuff they can find, and then beat up the manufacturer on price before they order.
Lowes or HD don't have many options in Torx. I have a bunch of stuff in a cart right now from McFeely's. Mostly square drive...which I also like. I'm trying to resist buying a box of every size, every length and every head shape! Has anyone here ever dealt with McFeely's? Good? Bad??

I hope my wife isn't home when the McFeely's semi pulls up in front of our house to deliver!

Brad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts