Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this strange device on youtube and trying to backward engineer it scaled down significantly for a small box.

The end dimensions will entirely depend on the complexity and if it is at all possible to avoid dimensions like 13/32", but I was thinking 12" or smaller. My geometry skills seem to have wavered over the years but I'm wondering what the best way to go about it would be.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
it looks simple enough

Two identical panels, two identical struts, with holes in identical places.... Start with a mock up in cardboard and push pins on the table. Then move up to thin wood once you get the hole locations figured out. That's the way I would approach it, no math.:no:

Reactions: JamesTinKS

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
What woodnthings said. Put two identical pieces back to back and drill the holes. This would be fantastic with a book-matched face and the struts hidden on the back side.

Looks to me like the pivot point is about half the depth from the edge as the strut points are, but easiest just to mock it up and then scale to correct size.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I took a screen shot of the door. I think you would be able to take measurements off the picture to at least get the proportions, distances for the pivot points, and length of the connecting bars.

door.jpg

door 1.jpg

·
Registered
26,889 Posts
It looks like it would be plagued with pinched fingers unless it was made as an automatic door. With the stress on the two pivot points I doubt if the door would last very long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts