Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are the folks reasonable with their asking prices? Around the bay area old wood is priced at a premium. It's crazy how much people as for rotting wood.
Most are crazy as you say but patience helps. Also I buy pretty big amounts- limits the buyers.
Does not mean it is available everywhere. Especially on west coast.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,403 Posts
I enjoy the stories behind some of the wood I sometimes get. 30 yrs ago when I first started in a small cabinet and furniture shop I bought a old stack of cherry from a family farm that was cut around 1963 when I-40 interstate came to our area. I've used some of it in my earlier years but still have part of it needing to be culled through (originally stacked wrong)...50 yrs later after being cut down. I've sawn a burnt cherry stump, virgin forest old growth poplar out of a log house originally built in early 1800's....growth rings approx 16 to an inch (and made their new table from it), 125 yr old burnt hollow tree...ONLY if these trees could talk...the history we could know.
Oh yeah.....BEAUTIFUL WOOD!!!

Reactions: mike1950
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.