Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have not been active for a while due to circumstances. In the meantime I have made my workbench,router table and stocked up on tolls for the job. I am busy making a table with curved shaped legs and am using a spoke shave for the first time. I have made the varioys profiles for the legs but am finding it rather difficult to get an even symetrical finish. If anyone has suggestions I would be gratefull. A brief background I am 51 yrs old am a qualified quantity surveyor and live in South Africa. Woodwork is a hobby and I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH, you belong to a great forum. As for your question - pictures would help us answer. Are the legs square, round, combo, tapered, so many styles... Do you own a lathe? scroll saw? jig saw? (a lathe would be nice but since you have a spoke shave - a scroll saw or jig saw can get you near the finish line). Depending on the leg, a story stick might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thanks for answering. The legs are a combination of cone shaped and tapered towards the bottom. I have made templates that get smaller in size as you get to the bottom of the leg. You need to shave as you go down but I am finding it difficult not to over shave and this leaves slight dents. Mabe I need to practice a bit more and slow down then use a rasp to get to the final shape. Unfortunately no lathe but a mate has and mabe I need to ask him. Did not know a lathe would be able to do it.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Cuzzi - try reposting your questionin the woodworking section... it's good you introduced yourself but lots of folks don't check the intro part.

I suggested the lathe if you had round legs... I'm still not sure (picture will help us). As for the dents, try wetting them. If they are real dents, they should pop up. Gouges and scratches need milling or sanding. Don't soak the dents, simple wet will do. I'll look for your repost in the woodworking section...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Berniel
Thanks for the tip on wetting and I will repost my question in the correct section.
Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts